Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you consider yourself a "Single Mom"?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:38 PM
  • 47 Replies
2 moms liked this
What is your definition of a single mother? Is it a mother without a partner or a mother taking care of her babies all by herself? I'm a mother (obviously lol) who is single but my daughter's father is very active in her life so I don't really consider myself a "single mother" just a mom that's single.
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this
THANK YOU! I'm so tired of women I know calling themselves "single moms" when they DO get help from the father! Drives me crazy!
AllAboutAmaya
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Yes. A so gle mom is a mother doing everything for her children by herself. If you get help from your child's father, that's coparenting.

Quoting KREX0914: THANK YOU! I'm so tired of women I know calling themselves "single moms" when they DO get help from the father! Drives me crazy!
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Exactly. It should refer to the act of parenting without the other parent present, not your relationship status. People get so offended when I say that

Quoting AllAboutAmaya: Yes. A so gle mom is a mother doing everything for her children by herself. If you get help from your child's father, that's coparenting.

Quoting KREX0914: THANK YOU! I'm so tired of women I know calling themselves "single moms" when they DO get help from the father! Drives me crazy!
AllAboutAmaya
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I don't understand why anyone would be offended. Lol if I hear a woman referring to herself as a single mom when the child's father is present I'm just going to assume she is trying to get more credit or something. But then again most people have different views, maybe they just see it differently than we do.

Quoting KREX0914: Exactly. It should refer to the act of parenting without the other parent present, not your relationship status. People get so offended when I say that
Quoting AllAboutAmaya: Yes. A so gle mom is a mother doing everything for her children by herself. If you get help from your child's father, that's coparenting.

bressmommy2012
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I'm a single mom, but my kids father isn't in their life.

JG86
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM
3 moms liked this
I would define a single mother as a mother who isn't married, regardless of whether or not the father is in the picture.
AllAboutAmaya
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM
So a mom with a boyfriend is also considered a single mother to you?

Quoting JG86: I would define a single mother as a mother who isn't married, regardless of whether or not the father is in the picture.
JG86
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Technically, yes. I've honestly never put that much thought into it though.

Quoting AllAboutAmaya: So a mom with a boyfriend is also considered a single mother to you?

Quoting JG86: I would define a single mother as a mother who isn't married, regardless of whether or not the father is in the picture.
AllAboutAmaya
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:41 PM
But if she is I'm a relationship she isn't single. If she is getting help she definitely isn't a single mother. Just because she isnt married doesn't dictate the title if the father is present or she is in a relationship with the father.

Quoting JG86: Technically, yes. I've honestly never put that much thought into it though.

Quoting AllAboutAmaya: So a mom with a boyfriend is also considered a single mother to you?

JG86
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Title? Lol

I disagree, but that's ok. It's not something I'm going to dwell on ;)

Quoting AllAboutAmaya: But if she is I'm a relationship she isn't single. If she is getting help she definitely isn't a single mother. Just because she isnt married doesn't dictate the title if the father is present or she is in a relationship with the father.

Quoting JG86: Technically, yes. I've honestly never put that much thought into it though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)