Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

OMG My son said he wants to kill himself

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

So tonight we are at the middle school round up and we are waiting forever to pick up the iPads (our school does not use books they use iPads). Well my 5 year old son is sitting with my 13 year old nephew and 5 year old niece and I had yelled at him about ten minutes earlier for bending my nephews arm back and then they all decided to sit on this ledge behind the long line which was fine. Well my sister went over to tell them something and she hears him say he wants to kill himself!!!! Mind you he is 5 so I assume he has no idea what he is saying. So my worry is where in the world has he heard this? I also have a 10 year old daughter.

Alot has changed in their lives lately and i know that. I have always been very active in their lives and I am currently working a different job (started July 1st) and my new hours and long drive have taken a lot of time away from them and i know they have both struggled with that. They cry when i put them to bed because I only get to spend about an hour with them each day now except my days off. I also have another job I do but I usually take them with me. 

I have no idea what to do or where to start. Ugh I suck!!!

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
buttercup627
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Start by sitting down and talking to him and go from there. Also try and look at your schedule a little more closely and see if you could work some more one on one time with the kids. I know it's hard as a working parent to get the balance and I really hope once you've settled in with your new job it gets easier.

Remember it's not always quantity of time together it's quality, so maybe try just making those few hours really about them. Good luck
bettysmurf88
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I do spend ALL day Mondays with them and 45 min or so with them every night. I work long days and its an hour and a half drive each way.  I call and talk to them everyday on my lunch break. With school starting I will lose my Mondays with them to :(

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Maybe let them stay up a little later with you so you could just hold them and read to them. They miss their mom. Things will get better 

Courtney610
by Courtney on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM
Big hugs.

I'd bring it up to the school counselor since school is starting. Get his/her opinion. Changes like you are describing can be hard. Maybe having someone else to talk to would help. I know our school counselor is always open to talking to kids when they need it.
xoxoluvmylilboy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Like you said he is 5 he probably heard it somewhere and is just repeating it. Just talk to him and find it if everything is ok. I think he's probably fine just could be acting out or something. Do what you can with the time you have.

bettysmurf88
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Courtney.....he is autistic so there is NO way he would talk to anybody he doesn't know. Not a chance at all. I guess all i can do is keep an eye on all the kids to see where it is coming from. It just completely blew me away.......I just feel like such a crap mom. Thanks moms!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Id sit him down and ask him where he heard it from and if he knows what it means.I hope it is nothing serious. Best of luck Mama

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN