Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Packed Lunch for Daycare- 21 Month Old

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:18 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hello everyone,

I am currently a stay at home mom. I have made the decision that I would like to go back to work.

I have been interviewing for jobs and looking for daycae for my 21 month old. Through my research it looks like i'll be packing my daughter, who will be 2 in November, lunch every day.

Do you have any suggestions? Some places will warm the food up, some won't. What has worked for you?

Thanks!

Faride

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mysticlily
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:23 AM

My daughter eats whatever they have at daycare and my son is on formula, but whatever daycare you go to, just talk with the director and teachers and they will be able to work with you and do what you would like with her food. My daughter was on coconut milk at the age of 1 because of milk protein intolerance and I brought that in for her and if I had any special instructions they would follow it. 

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Just ask the daycare what they recommend. The lady I sit for packs enough food for lunch (sandwich, fruit, yogurt) then food for snacks.
peanuteb
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:55 PM

My lo is starting daycare next week.  She is 17 months.  They allow me to send food and they will heat it.  They serve a hot lunch which I can also use.  If you dont use their food there is no discount, but you are not required to use their food. I intend to send her homemade food that they will heat, except on friday which is pizza day.  I purchased a lunchbox and containers for the food-the containers have a freezeable insert for the cold stuff, but they have refrigerators so I probably wont need that part.

KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM

My place charges a lot IMO, so they provide food after 2 years old. But here's a bump.

Frod1984
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Thank you for your suggestions!!
Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:49 PM
DD's daycare doesn't provide lunches nor do they have any way to heat foods. I send various types of sandwiches or wraps with yogurt, shredded cheese, fruits, chips/crackers/gold fish, and dill pickles (lawdy help me if those aren't in her lunch box every day). I try and switch it up, but its starting to become redundant. Every Friday is pizza day, I pay as we go with it.
Courtney610
by Courtney on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Fruit, yogurt, a small sandwich and some crackers or pretzels? Keep it simple.
hannmc14
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:16 AM

I worked in daycare center and a lot of parents sent in whatever food they would normally feed them at home but we had the ability to heat things up. A lot of veggies/fruits are good if there isn't a way to warm things up. I think it would be good to find out if the daycare has any requirements like a ban on PB or not. Sandwiches are also always popular items that parents send in with the children. Good luck on your job search and daycare hunting!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 1, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I agree

Quoting Courtney610: Fruit, yogurt, a small sandwich and some crackers or pretzels? Keep it simple.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)