Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Student While Pregnant

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am going to have my Associates degree from the University of Phoenix by the time our baby is born.

As I was growing up, I never did really make a big deal of working moms and stay at home moms.  I figured whatever happened would happen in the end.

When I got together with my husband, he was unemployed.  This made it easy for him to move out to my town and look for work.  He moved here in 2013 and because of his health and a 5 year gap in work history, it was very difficult for him to get a job.

We were newly engaged when I enrolled into the University of Phoenix to get my degree in Psychology.  January of this year was our wedding and I had reached the halfway point to my first degree.  We got pregnant this summer and we are now preparing for a baby to come in March.

He and I have both agreed that since I am getting my degree and since he is having trouble getting employed that he will be a stay-at-home father for our children.  I have no problem with this.

Being a stay-at-home mother would be a wonderful option for me but I chose a different path and I am excited to see where my future career will take us.

The best part of this whole thing for me is that I will have my Masters degree in time for my kids to start going to school.  This will definitely make life a lot easier for our family.

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM
I see nothing wrong with stay at home fathers, you have to do what is right for your family. What kind of degree are you getting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Someone is always going to have something to say about your choices in parenting. The only thing you can do is what works best for your family. My husband and I both work full time outside the home. It's what we want and what works for us. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:00 PM
If it works for you two then good luck! You two have a plan and thats great!
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM

My goal is to work in Psychology.

I have no intention of belitting any parent's decision between working or staying with the children.  I believe that both options have their own benefits.

My sister-in-law is a stay-at-home mother and my dad was a working father that pretty much worked from home until I was almost out of high school.

I believe that if parents of children who go to school are able to get their kids to and from school that the parents should drive their kids to and from.

This is where my husband and I differ.  His mother stayed at home while they were in school and he still took the bus to school.  I'm not saying that his mother's choice to allow him the indepence of getting to school on the bus was bad, I'm just saying that I would not want to do that option.

Since Stephen will be a stay-at-home father, I have asked him to provide transportation for the kids to and from school.

I don't see this as bad on either end.  I see it as good for the kids to have parents involved in their lives and I also see it as good for the parents to have the opportunity to be there for the kids.

by Nikki on Oct. 18, 2014 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck!!

by on Oct. 19, 2014 at 12:55 AM
I'm not really sure what you are asking? You've lost me somewhere...
by on Oct. 19, 2014 at 11:45 AM
I'm not really asking for anymore than your thoughts on the matter.
by on Oct. 19, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Congrats on the baby! Good luck on your degree.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)