Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you teach your kids to hit back?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:46 PM
  • 16 Replies

So with bullying on the rise are you teaching your kids to hit back whensomeone hits them? I teach mine to defend themselves, I would never encourage them to start a fight but I will not condemn them for fighting back. What are your thoughts?

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
If a kid hits them once no, but if someone is full on beating them they have every right to defend themselves.
MindPalace
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

No, but he's in karate, and we do teach him to how to defend himself. 

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:23 PM
Unless they hit her more than once it is time to defend herself. Right now she is 6 and I want her to tell when someone is being hateful to her. She knows what is silly not to tell but if it is something big she knows.
batmanfanmom
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been debating this myself recently. My son is only going on four, but I've seen bullying enough as a child. I've always defended my siblings. I honestly believe I'll be telling him to hit back. I tend to have a zero tolerance toward bullying. It just boils my blood. *And stepping off my soapbox.*
SAHM2011
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:00 PM

I feel the same. If it is a hostile environment and one of my children are being bullied, then yes. If one of them gets hit by another child,after being told to leave them alone repeatedly, then I expect them to hit them back. They need to know that they can hold their own. 

PINKmyfavcolor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 3:00 PM

She's only 3 so I don't think she'd understand the difference at this point, but I might let her know that hitting is okay if necessary to defend herself if someone else hits her first when she's older.

Retrokitty
by Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Never ever.

I think too many people mistake the word "defending themself" for "getting even."

The only time he is permitted to hit back is if he can not get away safely by any other means.

He will know full well that there is a large lie our society tells ourselves. And that is that we are somehow "better" if the other person acts first. If you hit back, or say mean words back you are no better.
rachel216
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I will teach my kids how to defend themselves period. I will put them in self defense classes and some kind of marshal arts as well. I don't want them to be a victim but I also don't want them to be a bully either
Ashleeduhh
by on Jan. 24, 2015 at 4:21 PM
I don't believe in violence and I will raise her accordingly. Sure, if someone started pounding on her,I wouldn't be upset if she defended herself but that is very unlikely. I've never been hit. I was bullied badly but never physically and it is unlikely she will ever be hit and I certainly ly will teach her that hitting someone is never the answer!
ja2010
by on Jan. 24, 2015 at 7:45 PM

If it is once then I would tell my kid to brush it off, but if he is getting beaten to the point of bruises then I will tell him to kick the kid but defense. I have always told my son don't hit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)