Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm the hand sanitizer mom

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:01 AM
  • 14 Replies
So I'm a little OCD about dirt and germs, I will literally put hand sanitizer on everything before I shop, I will pour sanitizer all over the shopping cart before I put my 2 year old in it. I know we can still get sick from the germs in the air, when we finish shopping I make my family use hand sanitizer and when we get home I will have my family wash hands and change to clean clothes, It sounds crazy but with the horrible flu season we've been seeing I'm trying to take precautions. If people want to come over I will ask if they are healthy, I have a 2 year old and 5 month old that I'm trying to keep healthy. I think once flu season is over I won't be so obsessive. Anyone like this? Please no bashing.
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smartmommy1050
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Using hand sanitizer that frequently can actually negatively impact your child's health.
yellow14
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:16 AM
I don't think so, I only put hand sanitizer on my son once we finish shopping, then we go home and change and wash hands. For the shopping cart I use wipes and sanitizer and I wait for it to dry before I put my son in the cart.
mommabuck7
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Ive been laughed at when at school because I use hand sanitzer like crazy, especially after using the computers. We're talking public computers used by 100's of people and they dont clean the keyboards. ugh, I cant even think about it.

StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:15 PM
Nope.

Germs are good for you.
Anything anti-bacterial is banned in our house
erin708
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:51 AM
Sanitizer is terrible for you. Especially that much. I don't have anything antibacterial around my house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1L2CMommy
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 10:02 AM
I'm not quite that OCD, but I have upped our sanitizer usage with great results. 2 years ago our DD, 1 year, had a stomahe bug every 4-6 weeks for 6 months straight. We all had bouts of the flu, and numerous colds. I couldn't take it. I changed our habits. We wash hands thoroughly, at least 20-30 seconds, before we eat anything, even snacks. If we go to the store, playground, indoor gym, basically anywhere public, we use sanitizer multiple times while there, and immediately after walking out. I also began including yogurt with probiots in all of our daily diets.
We've made it over a year with no stomache bugs, or flu, and only very mild coughs or runny noses.
yellow14
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 10:27 AM
I stay home mostly so I don't use hand sanitizer much at home, it's only when I go out which is maybe 2-3 times a month in the winter. I keep my house very sanitized though, I have a lot of anti bacteria cleaning products. Also I have a lot of natural cleaning supplies. I like my house clean enough to eat off of.
geekymom08
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 11:04 AM
When you use antibacterial products, you also kill good bacteria. Using them as often as you do, isn't good for you or your kids. While I do use antibacterial hand sanitizer when out in public where I can't wash my hands, I do not get ocd about it. There is research stating why you shouldn't use antibacterial soaps and such as much as we do. I'm not bashing, just trying to pass on information about how antibacterial products actually can be a negative thing when overly used.

But when it comes to germs I have my rules too. No sick visitors. Period. It can wait! And as soon as we get home, wash your hands! Straight to the bathroom to clean our hands with regular soap. When someone gets sick, we do daily top to bottom cleaning!
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Feb. 1, 2015 at 11:33 AM
No we don't use antibacterial anything in our house and we are hardly sick at all.
Jamie3516
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 1:08 PM
3 moms liked this
Nope. I'm the mom from the Luv's commercial.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)