Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does an engagement ring mean to you?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 5:19 PM
  • 9 Replies
I've heard a lot of different things when it comes to engagement rings. Some people believe that having an engagement ring somehow proves a man's commitment to his bride-to-be and that without the ring, the relationship remains on the boyfriend/girlfriend level. Others believe you don't need a ring to show how much you want to be with someone and that engagement rings are pretty much evil in nature. My parents taught me the more traditional and well known meaning of an engagement ring, and over the years even after I got married, I've added my own special meaning to the purpose of an engagement ring that I plan on passing on to my kids.

The thing is, in the end it doesn't really matter what I or anyone else thinks about a couple's relationship. Ultimately it's up to the couple to decide whether or not a tradition like getting an engagement ring even matters.

That said, what is your opinion on engagement rings?
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
luvmybug
by Amanda on Feb. 18, 2015 at 5:28 PM
To me, it is a promise of a greater commitment to each other on a higher level in a relationship. It means that they thinking about their future, and that you are in it. That they want to marry you. That their love for you is protected. And they want everyone to know you are taken.
Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 6:18 PM
Me and my now df talked about getting married a lot before we officially became engaged, but I made it clear that we weren't engaged without a ring.

To me, it's a symbol of a commitment. No way a man (at least that I choose to be with) spends thousands on a ring if he doesn't intend to spend the rest of his life with me. Plus when I tell people we're engaged, I want to be able to show my ring and how special it is to me that he picked it out and knows what I like so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 6:19 PM
Just a bit of jewellery.
I don't have one, never wanted one and were not engaged
AngelLovingLife
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 6:19 PM
To me, the ring doesn't matter. Honestly, neither did the wedding. That commitment was there before we exchanged vows or he gave me a ring.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommabuck7
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 1:48 AM
1 mom liked this
To me an engagement ring doesn't change my relationship. I'm committed regardless. But I'd never say no to a nice piece of jewelry ;)
cbjb0710
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:09 AM

We got married at 18. I didn't have a ring until a year later, he just bought me a new one for v day. I still don't wear a wedding band, I guess I'll get one eventually. It just doesn't mean much to me. I love my ring, and I think it is beautiful and I want to show the world, but I'd still be married without one. 

Me ((25)) + DH ((26)) = Cadence Belen ((7)) & Jacob Benjamin ((5)) & TTC #3!!

Reese2010727
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
It's just a piece of jewelry and a symbol to the rest of the world.In my opinion, women who demand a ring for engagement have something to prove whether to themselves or someone else. If you're committed, you're committed..ring or no ring.
blaineama16
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:16 PM
Agreed

Quoting luvmybug: To me, it is a promise of a greater commitment to each other on a higher level in a relationship. It means that they thinking about their future, and that you are in it. That they want to marry you. That their love for you is protected. And they want everyone to know you are taken.
Mrs.Tirado
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:18 PM
In my opinion, an engagement ring is just a symbol of a future promise. The engagement is much more important than the ring though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)