Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you surprised by the number of toddlers who are coffee drinkers?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:52 AM
  • 15 Replies

New Toddler Trend: Drinking Coffee (Yes, You Read That Right)

If you were to ask us to guess how many toddlers in the U.S. drank coffee, we'd say, "Umm, NONE?!" ... but it turns out that as many as 15 percent of moms are giving their 2-year-olds coffee. And we're not talking the occassional sip.

These kids are sipping java every day!

The study, which comes from the Boston Medical Center (BMC), looked at 315 moms and 2-year-olds in the Boston area. At first, they were just asking the women about the breast milk, formula, water, and juice that the kids were drinking. They eventually changed the questions to include coffee when they realized that a lot of moms were giving their kids caffeine without realizing how bad it was for them.

More from The Stir: More & More Kids Are Getting Addicted ... To Coffee

This news is especially surprising considering how often we're told that caffeine is horrible for children ... and it is. Caffeine consumption in kids is linked to a whole bunch of bad stuff, including depression, diabetes, poor sleep, obesity, and sustance abuse. Yikes.

The effects are so bad that we're not even supposed to drink coffee when we're pregnant ... but then people turn around and give it to their babies?

According to the study, Hispanic mothers are 15 percent more likely to give their kids joe, and the majority of the kids who were drinking it are female. It also said that on average, the children were drinking a little over an ounce of coffee ... which means that thankfully, they're not even close to finishing a full cup.

More from The Stir: Drinking Coffee During Pregnancy: Is It Safe?

Even a handful of 1-year-olds were drinking coffee everyday, but it was only 2.5 percent of the families studied. Even so, this probably means it's time for some more PSAs covering what your toddler should and shouldn't be drinking.

Are you surprised by the number of toddlers who are coffee drinkers?

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Tirado
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:17 AM
This is CRAZY!! I don't even let my kids drink soda for more than once a week and it's always caffeine free. But I'm honestly not surprised.
Mrs.Tirado
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:18 AM
I've even seen a 2 year old drink beer
rachellaree20
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Not surprised. My dh grew up drinking "coffee-milk" starting when he was around 18 months or so.  It's about 1/4 coffee 3//4 milk but still...my toddler has more than enough energy, I can't imagine adding caffeine.  Dear god that would be terrible.  She wants to taste my coffee all the time though and snuck a taste once by dipping a pepperoni I had given her in my morning cup :/  Sneaky little tots lol

AngelLovingLife
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 2:03 AM
My 6 year old loves coffee. He gets a cup a day, most days. Like everything else, moderation is key.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaTwinkleA
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 9:57 AM
O.O :O I have no words for this idiocy.

Quoting Mrs.Tirado: I've even seen a 2 year old drink beer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meandmyboys124
by on Mar. 5, 2015 at 10:11 AM
My autistic 3 (almost 4) year old who has adhd gets a 4oz cup of coffee in the mornings on the days he has therapies. It calms him and doesn't have the bad side affects that medicine has on him.
My other children do not get any. I didn't realize that many small children get coffee. It seems so high.
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Mar. 5, 2015 at 12:07 PM
A lot of children in other countries get coffee everyday. It also helps calm some children with adhd. I've let my kids sample mine, they don't like it enough to have a whole cup.
Stephanie116
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 5:14 PM
My boys like to sip on my coffee drinks from Starbucks. It maybe happens once a month and it is only sips. They are 5 and 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommabuck7
by on Mar. 6, 2015 at 5:24 PM

I dont even let my child have soda! no caffeine until hes at least a teenager!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Very!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)