Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you offended that an airport threw out a nursing mom's breast milk?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:27 AM
  • 14 Replies

Airport Confiscates Alyssa Milano's Breast Milk & She's Mad As Hell

Dude. Not cool, Heathrow, not cool. Just hours after proud breastfeeder Alyssa Milano tweeted that "pumping on a plane is difficult," she unleashed her fury on Twitter over her pumped breast milk being confiscated by airport authorities.

Her rant began after she said that her pumped breast milk, A.K.A. liquid gold, was thrown out for non-compliance.

Heathrow's official Twitter account responded, but didn't exactly appease the actress (or likely any breastfeeding mamas anywhere).

Unless you're traveling with the baby, all liquid is restricted to 3.4 oz. But like Milano pointed out, why the heck would she need to pump if she had baby Bella with her?

Not one to back down when it comes to standing up for moms' rights and breastfeeding, the mom-of-two continued to demand that Heathrow explain their insane policy about breast milk. She questioned, "Why can you test my toiletries to make sure they are safe but you have to throw away my breast milk?"

She also replied to a fan that the authorities took away her cooler, so she didn't even have a way to store any breast milk she pumped after leaving the plane. And while we're hoping it's just an unfortunate coincidence, Milano shared that the hospital grade pump that she checked has mysteriously gone missing, and she had to fill out a lost baggage claim.

More from The Stir: Proud Breastfeeder Alyssa Milano Nails Problem With Kim Kardashian Photo

I don't always personally agree with the stances Alyssa Milano takes, but I'm 100 percent on her side on this issue, and I'm glad she's making it public. As a celeb mom, her message can be spread much further than most other mamas, and this is a serious issue that needs addressing.

Sometimes breastfeeding moms need to travel without their babies. They need to pump, and unless they've indulged in one too many of those mini cocktail bottles before takeoff, there is absolutely no reason that the milk should be dumped. Pumped breast milk is what allows exclusive breastfeeders from having to supplement with formula. The baby needs that nutrition, and Heathrow Airport thinks it's perfectly fine to throw it away?

More From The Stir: 10 Incredible Facts About Breast Milk You've Never Heard Before

I'm glad she's not backing down from this, and I'm not impressed at all with Heathrow's reply that she can't travel with that much milk without her baby. It seems like they need to take a good, hard look at their policy, and implement some change when it comes to nursing mothers' rights. Mamas traveling with breast pumps should be allowed to keep every drop of milk they manage to squeeze out. End of discussion.

Are you offended that an airport threw out a nursing mom's breast milk?

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cupcake_mom
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:30 AM
I think it's ridiculous! I would be pretty pissed if it was me.
JG86
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:36 AM
I'm not offended. It's their policy. I would just pump more.
Gianna2014
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:32 PM

I'd be pissed even if my milk supply wasn't so low. 

britnysmiles
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 1:36 PM
I'd be beyond pissed
rozenshyao
by Member on Apr. 12, 2015 at 8:52 PM

I would've been pretty pissed, except I would probably just whip out the boob and feed my child and dared them to say something. because i'm awesome like that. :p

HisUsmcWifey
by on Apr. 13, 2015 at 3:00 AM

No because there is a clear no liquids over a certian amount policy, and without the baby there it applied to her.

HisUsmcWifey
by on Apr. 13, 2015 at 3:01 AM

Totally OT but is your LO's name Gianna? If so i've got one as well, she's 8!

Quoting Gianna2014:

lenashark
by Member on Apr. 13, 2015 at 10:30 AM

No. The airport did the right thing. They were following policy, policies that are there for a very good reason. Sorry that they put the safety of everyone on board over 10oz. of breastmilk. She is not above the rules. 

emwatkins
by on Apr. 13, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Dear Alyssa,

As blunderheaded as this story obviously is on the part of the administrators and rule enforcers at Heathrow, (and we hope that changes), there are a number of reasons why a mother might have a pump and a baby with her.

One reason: The baby does not eat as much as the mother produces. Another: The baby may eat breastmilk from a bottle rather than from the breast. This can be the case when the baby's mouth is smaller than the mother's nipple, or when a baby does not grab on and suck the milk out properly.

Gianna2014
by Member on Apr. 13, 2015 at 7:22 PM

It's my name actually :) My name wasn't very common when I was really young, but when I got into high school, I started hearing it on a lot of babies. It's a great name, I've always loved it.

Quoting HisUsmcWifey:

Totally OT but is your LO's name Gianna? If so i've got one as well, she's 8!

Quoting Gianna2014:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)