Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help breaking my LO's bad habit!

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 12:41 AM
  • 9 Replies
I have chronic pain and health issues, and because of them my daughter and I spend a lot of time indoors (usually in the living room). She's learned that she can get away with watching a lot of tv, because I can't spend a lot of time outside with her. I know it's not good for her, but to a certain extent there's not a whole lot I can do. I have the desire to break her of the habit of watching so much tv, because I can see the negative effect it's having on her attention span, her ability to use her imagination, her level of aggression, and her sleep patterns. I know it will be extremely difficult; every time we turn off the tv, even if we're warned her, she throws an ever loving fit. What are some suggest you all might have in terms of low-impact activities that are indoors, but might be educational, or are fun, or are active for her or not me, or quite frankly ANY suggestions at all? Thanks so much!
by on May. 5, 2015 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
zdtmok
by on May. 5, 2015 at 12:54 AM
Reading. Lincoln logs. Playmobile. Legos. Crafts and painting.
How old is she? Also, give her a set amount of time that she can watch each day, and a set time at which she can watch, to give her boundaries. If she throws a fit, she loses her tv time for that day. If it happens the next day, she also gets a time out, etc. Be firm and consistent, but yes, stop using TV as a baby sitter. There are thousands of things you can do in doors.
Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:05 AM
We live in WA and in the mountains so it rains a lot here. We spend 9 months out of the year inside because it's raining or freezing outside.

If she's old enough, take her to a craft store and pick out some fun craft ideas to do like making bead necklaces or sand art or whatever she's interested in. Maybe try setting a schedule for the day so she knows that the tv only comes on at certain times. 
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 5, 2015 at 9:16 AM

How old is she? My kids love things like play doh and mega blocks. Arts and crafts are good also.

PINKmyfavcolor
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:25 PM

When my ss was doing that, we just went a week without watching TV at all, spending time playing together in his room with blocks and cars and things (I was on antibiotics and couldn't spend much time in the sun without blistering), finger painting, drawing, coloring, building with blocks, etc. When we finally did turn on the TV again, we didn't make a big deal out of it and when we turned it off, he seriously didn't care and just went off to play.

amberNewman0213
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:27 PM
I usually sit outside and watch the kids play. They burn out energy and I get to enjoy a boom. It's a win win lol.
sunflowers80
by New Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Bless your heart! Sorry to hear about your health issues, that must be tough with a LO running around. I've been in your shoes when dealing with being sick or being pregnant and it is HARD to set those boundaries when you have almost no energy. Give yourself grace in the moment to know that you are doing the best you can...I was doing research on this topic recently for my own kiddos and came across this article - might be helpful in your situation! Praying for you sweet mom!

mommato2lilmonkeys

rach_mommy
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:40 PM
I'd make like a "fun box" and fill it with coloring books & colors, arts & craft stuff, play doh, stuff like that. Get on a schedule when it comes to tv time. Only allow tv for a certain amount of time every day at a certain time.
PeaceMuch
by Kali on May. 5, 2015 at 4:33 PM
You're going to have to deal with the fits until she is weaned off so much tv. I suggest pinterest. :)
EviesMom129
by New Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Sorry, I spaced. She's 3.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)