Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you believe children of mixed ethnic/racial heritage should identify with their fathers blood

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM
  • 11 Replies

So I am mixed Afro-Brazilian. To be more specific I am 60% African American, 21% Portuguese and 18% Native American. I look very "ambiguous". My skin is very light, and my eyes are dark blue/grey. The father is African American and Cherokee(his great grandmother) but only identitfies as Black.  His eyes are dark brown. He is very proud man, and believes strongly in  a child being the race of their father...

In my life I've met Black people who would consider me Black despite my skin tone and blue eyes and some who have called me White(it happens, been called a White girl) and White people who tell me I am not White and have said to me that I am mixed or Black. Race is a touchy subject for me because of other experiences.

My daughters skin tone is just a little darker than my own and she has her daddies eyes. So I guess she could "pass"... I personally only identify as Afro Brazilian because that is what I am... "race" is not treated the same in my home country as it is here. It is more about how you identify.

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jun. 3, 2015 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't do the race thing. I go by their personalities and to me it doesn't matter to me if they are purple, pink, or orange. They are people just like my daughter and myself. You know more about your race than I know my own. I know I am white but I also know I have Native America in me. Just not sure how many. :) 

Welcome to the group! My name is Mandy! 

Cafe Steph
by on Jun. 3, 2015 at 11:43 AM

I personally am white and look very, very white, lol, so I don't think anybody would question me, but I think if I were mixed I'd identify myself not by mother's or father's race, but rather by both. And I don't call people by their races, so it's up to them to tell me what they are, if they wish to identify that to me.

by Ariana on Jun. 4, 2015 at 6:35 AM

i am very proud when it comes to my heritage and race, i identify as native american, cherokee, my father is island guyanna. i soleley identitfy as native american my dh is puerto rican and italian my children identify as puerto, italian, and native

by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2015 at 6:56 AM

I look very Arabic, if I identified solely as my father's ethnicity (Caucasian) there would be some very confused people around me.

I feel that people tend to identify more with the culture they are raised with, rather than the ethnicity/looks. I cannot be bothered with people who don't accept what I am, regardless of whether we have a shared ethnicity or not, I'll identify with what I am and what I was raised with.

by Member on Jun. 4, 2015 at 7:02 AM
My kids dad is native mexican, my daughter identifies as such and my son identifies as white. That what they want so I just go along with it
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2015 at 1:49 PM
I am Puerto Rican (mom) and black (dad). My father has Cherokee Indian in his blood which I guess would make me Cherokee as well but I don't really say that when people ask me what race I am. My husband is Salvadoran (dad) and Puerto Rican (mom.) When I met his mother, she only mentioned that she was Puerto Rican but she has strong "black" features like me such as the wider nose and thicker hair. When I met her father, he was very dark in complection and looked as if he were of black decent. Come to find out, he's half Haitian and half Puerto Rican. So my husband also has Haitian in his blood, but like me, he doesn't mention that part of him. When people ask us what our kids are, we just say Puerto Rican. It pretty much sums them up since that's what me and my husband have in common.
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2015 at 1:56 PM

My husband is half white (his mom), and half Mexican (his dad). He identifies as white, and you wouldn't know he is mixed by looking at him. If his dad had been in his life, he would probably identify as Mexican. As it was, his mom raised him alone, and he doesn't claim his dad's race.

by Member on Jun. 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM
My mother is Swedish/Norwegian, and my father is Mexican. Most people look at me and only see Mexican, but I identify as both Mexican and Swedish. I grew up eating foods from both cultures, and heard English, Spanish and Swedish spoken in my home.
by on Jun. 4, 2015 at 3:46 PM
I identify myself as American. My ancestors came over 4+ generations ago and from a variety of countries, so I don't have a cultural tie to any other country in particular. I would imagine that I would feel the same way regardless of which countries my ancestors came from.
by on Jun. 4, 2015 at 4:05 PM
I identify as...a complete mix! Lol seriously though, I'm proud of the fact that my most recent ancestors valued love, over race and the location of where someone was born (or their parents). Here's the list for me...

Native American (2 different tribes)

Some of my ancestors were here from the beginning, and some immigrated here. I'm American and I am human.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)