Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Name help!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:27 AM
  • 16 Replies
So my husband and I had the most difficult time picking out names for our son due in April. He really loved Liam and so did I, but it is so common now. We picked the name Torrin Maddox. Can you ladies explain how you would pronounce it, and what do you think of this name? Is it to 'out there'?
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistyMoo
by Amber on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:30 AM
I would say it like "Tore-in Mad-ox". It's not bad, it just sounds trendy.
VioletSkies23
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:34 AM
Trendy as in every kid in his class will have the name eventually? We wanted to do a family name for a MN but didn't want to snub anyone. I don't know any Torin's or Torrin's

Quoting MistyMoo: I would say it like "Tore-in Mad-ox". It's not bad, it just sounds trendy.
MistyMoo
by Amber on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:41 AM
It just sounds like something Angelina Jolie would name her kids. Everyone is looking for a "different name" nowadays. I could understand if the names held a cultural meaning or something because that's different. Torrin is a place in Scotland, isn't it? Are you of Scottish descent?

Quoting VioletSkies23: Trendy as in every kid in his class will have the name eventually? We wanted to do a family name for a MN but didn't want to snub anyone. I don't know any Torin's or Torrin's

Quoting MistyMoo: I would say it like "Tore-in Mad-ox". It's not bad, it just sounds trendy.
VioletSkies23
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:55 AM
I could see that although that wasn't what we were going for, haha. I'm of Irish decent and when we were looking we took intrest in the more Celtic/Irish/Gaelic sounding names but wanted to stay away from typical American spellings like 'Aiden'. Torin is derived from an Irish word meaning 'cheif' we added the extra r for pronunciation reasons because we are from the deep south USA and were worried 'Torin' would slurr into 'Torn'. I don't want to sound like a hipster but my name is Ashley Nichole. There were always another Ashley in my class. I hated it so much!

Quoting MistyMoo: It just sounds like something Angelina Jolie would name her kids. Everyone is looking for a "different name" nowadays. I could understand if the names held a cultural meaning or something because that's different. Torrin is a place in Scotland, isn't it? Are you of Scottish descent?

Quoting VioletSkies23: Trendy as in every kid in his class will have the name eventually? We wanted to do a family name for a MN but didn't want to snub anyone. I don't know any Torin's or Torrin's

dragonborn
by Group Admin on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:00 AM
I love the name. Torrin is a good Celtic name.
bethanymommy
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I like it. Original but not stupid (like a lot of others). And I don't think anyone will have trouble with the pronunciation.
VioletSkies23
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:03 AM
I fell in love with Torrin, too. Thank you for your insight. Do you think it should be paired with a more 'classic' MN? To balance it or something?

Quoting dragonborn: I love the name. Torrin is a good Celtic name.
MistyMoo
by Amber on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:03 AM
Haha I could see them.pronouncing it that way. I'm from Canada, so I have a really hard time understanding the thick southern accents. I felt bad for this one man who tried asking me a question when I was in the South last year lol I couldn't understand what the heck he was saying lol but any other thick accents whether it's German, Scottish, Indian, french.. I can understand those people, just a really hard time with the southern accent for some reason lol

Quoting VioletSkies23: I could see that although that wasn't what we were going for, haha. I'm of Irish decent and when we were looking we took intrest in the more Celtic/Irish/Gaelic sounding names but wanted to stay away from typical American spellings like 'Aiden'. Torin is derived from an Irish word meaning 'cheif' we added the extra r for pronunciation reasons because we are from the deep south USA and were worried 'Torin' would slurr into 'Torn'. I don't want to sound like a hipster but my name is Ashley Nichole. There were always another Ashley in my class. I hated it so much!
Quoting MistyMoo: It just sounds like something Angelina Jolie would name her kids. Everyone is looking for a "different name" nowadays. I could understand if the names held a cultural meaning or something because that's different. Torrin is a place in Scotland, isn't it? Are you of Scottish descent?
VioletSkies23
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:15 AM
Lol! If you don't grow up around it, it can be really hard to distiguish the words. They all slur together. Its like everyone is drunk all the time, and everyone sounds really unintelligent, but that's not always the case! We just take our time while speaking. We also take many liberties with our metaphors and figurative sayings. Its fun!

Quoting MistyMoo: Haha I could see them.pronouncing it that way. I'm from Canada, so I have a really hard time understanding the thick southern accents. I felt bad for this one man who tried asking me a question when I was in the South last year lol I couldn't understand what the heck he was saying lol but any other thick accents whether it's German, Scottish, Indian, french.. I can understand those people, just a really hard time with the southern accent for some reason lol

Quoting VioletSkies23: I could see that although that wasn't what we were going for, haha. I'm of Irish decent and when we were looking we took intrest in the more Celtic/Irish/Gaelic sounding names but wanted to stay away from typical American spellings like 'Aiden'. Torin is derived from an Irish word meaning 'cheif' we added the extra r for pronunciation reasons because we are from the deep south USA and were worried 'Torin' would slurr into 'Torn'. I don't want to sound like a hipster but my name is Ashley Nichole. There were always another Ashley in my class. I hated it so much!
VioletSkies23
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:18 AM
Thank you, I've tried speaking it to myself, and kinda saying it as if I was getting on to the little guy. It flows well and our last name has a double letter, too. Which wasn't on purpose, but neat none the less.

Quoting bethanymommy: I like it. Original but not stupid (like a lot of others). And I don't think anyone will have trouble with the pronunciation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)