Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How private is your life?

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2017 at 8:58 AM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

Since I draw energy from other people, I do not consider myself a classic introvert. However, I'd feel uncomfortable having my family photos on social media where everyone can see them. It seems ok, but nobody would stick their pictures to a front door of their house. Actually, we do the same thing but online. And my problem is that even oversharing is considered normal, while not sharing moments of private life at all is suspicious.

I think I can send photos in several private messages to people who truly care and it will not take much time. The other "friends" on Facebook may probably not be that interested and I do not want to make them overloaded with information they did not request.

It's not only social media I am concerned about. I do not like seeing ads demonstrated based on my search queries, especially when I look for something related to my kids' health. I'd prefer seeing them on dedicated resources, which I decided to visit myself. That is the reason why I use an anty-tracking extension and regularly search for hidden files that may collect information from my computer without my knowledge.  

It's not that I'm afraid my search queries are monitored, I do that on principle. And I wonder if I'm being paranoid to certain degree or it's ok to think that way. I think people establish informationsl boundaries from others for a reason, since it is a basic need. We want space free of the gaze of others just to feel at ease.

What do you think about that? Are there any tools or tricks you use to reduce the amount of information shared online? Or, you think it's unnecessary?

by on Dec. 25, 2017 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Boileremily
by New Member on Dec. 25, 2017 at 2:54 PM

Hi Nicole, hope your having a great day today and also Merry Christmas to you and your Family as well! That said I have no problem with posting on FB but it is only with my friends and nobody else! 

As for the Search, you should be able to eliminate it by going to your Advanced Settings! 

Have a great day Nicole,

Emily

BooBooBoom
by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 3:19 AM

I don't share any pictures online. and only very limited personal information.

dragonborn
by Group Admin on Dec. 29, 2017 at 12:28 PM
My life is on my Facebook. But I have my page set to the highest profile security settings that I can, and I only accept people that I know.
On this site however, I rarely post any pics, especially of my kids.
wiccanlove92
by New Member on Jan. 1, 2018 at 5:54 PM
I have no problems sharing pictures and stuff on my Facebook but my security settings are locked down so that only people I add can see anything and I only add people I feel comfortable with seeing everything
Turkey_jerky
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2018 at 6:01 PM

I am private. I don't even trust high security on fb because people can still be showing others without your knowledge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)