Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mixed child and white spots on skin (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 9:56 PM
  • 15 Replies
Ok a friend of mine has a little girl 4 years old and she has these white spots on her face, arms, and shoulder blades and only one feels scaley and it  is on her left arm. It started out small and became the size of a quarter.The one on her arm is the only one that got bigger and she has had it since she was 1yr. The ones on her face come and go. The dermatologist (not sure the spelling) is not sure as well. Can anyone tell me what they think?

by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DanaBeckham
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 10:00 PM
I used to work with a woman (white) who lost her skin pigmentation in spots like that.  I forgot what it was called, but it didn't hurt or anything, it just looked different.  Has the child complained of any pain?

Jerusha_83
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Quoting DanaBeckham:

I used to work with a woman (white) who lost her skin pigmentation in spots like that.  I forgot what it was called, but it didn't hurt or anything, it just looked different.  Has the child complained of any pain?
No it does not hurt od itch

Marissa823
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 10:03 PM

It sounds like it might be this...

Vitiligo (pronounced /ˈvɪdlˈaɪgoʊ/) or leukoderma is a chronic skin condition that causes loss of pigment, resulting in irregular pale patches of skin.

It is what Michael Jackson claims made him white.

DrakesMom
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 10:04 PM

It has something to do with skin pigmentation. I know a few people that have it, but it does not affect you in any other way than looks.

DanaBeckham
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 10:04 PM
I also think Michael Jackson had the same condition, which is why he changed his skin color completely.  If it doesn't negatively affect her I wouldn't worry about it too much.  The dermatologist should be able to figure out what it is though.  Keep us posted!

mommypie811
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 10:05 PM
Vitiligo is a condition in which white patches develop on the skin. Any location on the body can be affected, and most people with vitiligo have white patches in many areas of the body. Melanin is the pigment that gives the skin its characteristic color. Vitiligo is caused by a loss of pigment in the skin, due to destruction of pigment-forming cells known as melanocytes. Although vitiligo affects all races equally, it is more noticeable in dark-skinned people. Vitiligo can cause cosmetic problems. Vitiligo affects up to 2% of the population, and it is estimated that two to five million Americans have the condition. In most cases, vitiligo develops early in life, between the ages of ten and 30 years. Ninety-five per cent of those affected will develop the disorder before age 40. Both men and women are equally likely to develop vitiligo. Vitiligo may run in families; those with a family history of vitiligo or premature graying of the hair are at increased risk for the development of vitiligo. Other risk factors that increase one’s chances of developing vitiligo include having autoimmune diseases, such as autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto’s thyroiditis). Vitiligo symptoms include an often rapid pigment loss in several areas of the skin. The initial appearance of the white patches can be followed by a stable period without any progression of the condition. Later on, further cycles of pigment loss and stability may be observed. Vitiligo commonly affects areas on the skin that are exposed to sun, body folds (such as armpits), previous sites of injury, areas around moles, or areas around body orifices (openings). It is rare for pigment to return once the white patches have developed. Vitiligo can also affect the eyes, skin, and hair. The exact cause of the destruction of the pigment-forming cells (melanocytes) in the skin is not known. One possible explanation might be that the body’s immune system destroys the cells, as in other autoimmune conditions. Your doctor can usually make the diagnosis of vitiligo during a physical examination. There is no known way to prevent or cure vitiligo. However, several methods, including cosmetics, re-pigmentation using UV light therapy, steroid creams, depigmentation of unaffected skin areas, and skin grafting, can be used to improve the appearance of skin severely affected by vitiligo.
LokisMama
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 10:06 PM
Only thing I've ever heard of that sounds like that is called 'vitiligo'. Basically its just a lack of pigmentation in the skin in isolated areas, rather than the entire body.

http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Vitiligo/vitiligo_ff.asp

That's a link I found about it.  Hope it helps.

Photobucket

(If you can't tell......I wanna have another baby!  Hehe.)

USMCwife0413
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 10:07 PM
i'm not sure if it is vitaligo..BUT my nephews are mixed black and white and they have very light spots on their backs and butts and belly...they are just light pigment that isnt developed fully black or white,,,totally normal.

DOES YOUR SMALL BUSINESS NEED CREDIT CARD PROCESSING????? ASK ME HOW!!!                             

JOIN MY MILITARY MOMMY GROUPS:
FOR MARINE MOMMAS!!! www.cafemom.com/group/imadeababymarine
FOR ALL MILITARY MOMMAS!: www.cafemom.com/group/makinmilitarybabies  

Jerusha_83
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 10:08 PM
We know it is not Vittiligo (however you spell it) because I have read about it and seen pics so we know it is not that

Natsnumberthree
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Quoting USMCwife0413:

i'm not sure if it is vitaligo..BUT my nephews are mixed black and white and they have very light spots on their backs and butts and belly...they are just light pigment that isnt developed fully black or white,,,totally normal.

yeah I had a friend like that and she said she was cookie crumble.   Her brother was completely a mocha color, beautiful skin tone. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)