Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green stuff coming out of my sons eyes......

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 7:53 PM
  • 20 Replies
My 3 year old son has greenish yellow drainage coming out of both his eyes.  I don't believe it is pink eye because his eyes aren't red and they don't hurt or bother him.  He has a cold and a cough.  This has been going on for a few days now. I was wondering if I should take him to the doctors or just let the cold run its course. And is there anything can do at home to help?
by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Natsnumberthree
by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 7:58 PM
I am pretty sure it is pink eye.  The eyes don't have to be pink, but my son has had it.  Call a nurses hotline, and they will help you.  Green is the bad color to have as drainage. 
Delirium003
by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 8:01 PM
I remember my mom telling me that that may be conjunctivitis (sp?).  I had it ALOT when I was a baby and my son had it a few times.  Kinda gross, but its mucusy stuff and its difficult to open your eyes.  We had to get meds for my son.  Hopefully it works out!
babygarmuchi
by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Quoting Natsnumberthree:

I am pretty sure it is pink eye.  The eyes don't have to be pink, but my son has had it.  Call a nurses hotline, and they will help you.  Green is the bad color to have as drainage. 
Yes they do. My baby actually has this right now and is on antibiotic eye drops. I thought it may be pink eye, but told my pedi I wasn't sure because his eye wasn't pink. She said than it's not pink eye. They did a culture on it, and it's a form of flu that infects the eye. A lot of people have it right now, at least in Geogia, it's really going around.

Interested in babywearing? Check out my Ring Slings! 

koalababies@yahoo.com

www.myspace.com/koalababiesllc

n-a-k-3
by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 8:06 PM
my daughter has had the same thing for the past couple of days and i dont know what it is I dont think its pink eye either she has had a cold to. i got her some homeopathic eye drops that are for pink eye its called similasan. and it helps with the discharge so her eye lashes dont get all stuck together while she sleeps. I dont know if thats any help but thats how im dealing with it
Dorothy24
by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 8:06 PM
I know it sounds wierd but sometimes a cold can come out through the eyes. Just get a warm wash cloth to clean his eyes. Use a different part of the washcloth for each eye so you don't cross contaminate.  As for taking him to the doctor just use your better judgment. Personally I would let it run its course. If he gets worse then obviously take him in.

ashleymrivers
by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 8:08 PM
Both of my kids had that (and I ended up getting it once... it's AWFUL), and the doctor said they both had blocked tear ducts and eye colds.  He gave me an ointment to use to put inside of their eyes (which is a bit difficult), and I also had to use it on mine.  It worked, but it was a PAIN!! Not to mention gross.... they would be crusted shut..... ewwwwwww.
danielleg1022
by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 8:10 PM
It's conjuctivitis. It's a cold in the eyes, just like you would get in your nose. Just wipe them with a warm wash cloth with Johnson's baby wash a couple times a day and it should go away on it's own. if not take him to a doc to see if he might need an antibiotic.
ashmac03
by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 8:12 PM
It could be from the cold but to me it sounds more like pink eye.  The eye doesn't necessarily have to be pink to have pink eye.  I would take him in right away.  Pink eye is VERY contagious and you don't want it going around the house.
lifelovekids
by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 8:15 PM
green means infection... always keep that as a goood rule... my son had surgery last friday... at first the drainage from his ears was bloody... then 4 days later turned green... AKA infection... I called the doc... he got him on antibiotics quickly... do your sons sinuses hurt? is it just his eyes.... do you have cats or dogs... Id would call and get him into a doctor... and like some others said the eyes dont have to be pink to have pink eye... pink eye is an infection... does he go to daycare or school??? then Id talk to his teacher or babysitter he might not be the only one with this... see a doc dont let him suffer
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)