Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

giving a 5 year old valium?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 2:26 PM
  • 10 Replies
My 5 year old has 2 cavities that need to be filled.   He is VERY anxious about the dentist and refuses to go.  The Dentist suggested giving him valium to calm him down....is this ok?  has anyone done it?  does it make them sleep?

by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetascanget
by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 2:33 PM
I would ask ur dr.
jenni-fur
by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Most dentists will give a child that young laughing gas. I would be scared to give my 5 year old valium without talking to my dr first. But if you talk to a dr and feel comfortable then it will help.

jenni♥fur™

Wife to Ryan for 10 years

Mom to R.T. (9), Jocelyn (6) and Jaelyn (5).

Consultant for "Thirty-One"...find out more here!

VBKL
by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 2:36 PM
ask you dr. usually they have something in the office to give them .. i have never heard of giving a kid valium unless truley in an emergency purpose in a hospital
kthomas220
by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 2:37 PM
the only dentists around here that use the gas are pediatric dentist.  the insurance doesnt cover the gas.  the gas is $300 ....i dont make that kind of money :(  but im nervous about the valium.  I have a call into the doc for that though
Quoting jenni-fur:

Most dentists will give a child that young laughing gas. I would be scared to give my 5 year old valium without talking to my dr first. But if you talk to a dr and feel comfortable then it will help.

jessie9284
by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 2:39 PM
My daughter just had dental work done...we did not drug her. We talked to her, explained in a 6 yrs old vocabulary what would happen, and didn't leave her the option of not going. Its a necessary evil and your child will have to come to terms with it. Buy some books about the dentist and reassure him it will be ok. Fear of the dentist isnt something a child is born with, its learned from your tension and nervousness for him....

jenni-fur
by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 2:44 PM
I actually had a regular dentist (not pediatric) give my son laughing gas with out telling us before hand then bill us! I was pissed and that was the last time I sent my husband to the dentist with our kids. I refused to pay the bill and never did.

But a few years later we had different insurance and a pediatric dentist and the experience was a lot better. Like everyone said just call your doctor and make an informed decision.
Quoting kthomas220:

the only dentists around here that use the gas are pediatric dentist.  the insurance doesnt cover the gas.  the gas is $300 ....i dont make that kind of money :(  but im nervous about the valium.  I have a call into the doc for that though
Quoting jenni-fur:

jenni♥fur™

Wife to Ryan for 10 years

Mom to R.T. (9), Jocelyn (6) and Jaelyn (5).

Consultant for "Thirty-One"...find out more here!

love.my.girls
by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 2:48 PM
Ummm....no.
kthomas220
by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM
you can explain all you want, but when they are terrified (always have been funny about his mouth...even at the doctor....nothing he has seen from ANYONE) there is nothing I can do to control him and MAKE him sit still. 
Quoting jessie9284:

My daughter just had dental work done...we did not drug her. We talked to her, explained in a 6 yrs old vocabulary what would happen, and didn't leave her the option of not going. Its a necessary evil and your child will have to come to terms with it. Buy some books about the dentist and reassure him it will be ok. Fear of the dentist isnt something a child is born with, its learned from your tension and nervousness for him....

brandi.spell
by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 3:13 PM
I worked for a general dentist for 3years and some ped.dentist will give valium to young kids...but it is not as strong as what me or you would take. Personally I would always check with your pediatrician first to make sure they were OK with it. I personally wouldn't gas my child but some are OK with it. for 2 cavities I know this is not an option but for a child with a lot of dental needs I would rather go to the hospital and have sometime of light sedation (most ped. dentist will offer this)... I have been told that the valium is actually safer than the gas! Every child is different so the pediatrician is more likely to know your child, many medical problems could affect any type treatment. You know your child as well so always trust your gut.
jMama078
by on Jun. 10, 2008 at 3:18 PM
Yes, I've heard of it. It usually is in liquid form. My son actually had it once or twice when he was younger (3-4). I would prefer the liquid valium over gas for my children and even myself if need be. They tend to fall asleep with the valium. And to touch on the subject on "explaining"--I agree, you can't explain to a 3-5 year old and expect them to not be terrified when they are giving shots or drilling and there's pain... older children yes.. but not a 3-5 year old.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN