Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Food questions

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 2:48 PM
  • 6 Replies

I started my daughter on rice at 3 months little by little she loved it. Now shes 4 months and doesnt want it and starts to fuss when i give it to her. she doesnt like any of the baby foods.... she threw up peas one day! now she doesnt want her rice ceral her poop is thinner.. she went from 7 oz and rice each feeding (formula) to maybe 5 oz. with just a little. did i start her to soon? i dont know if shes teething or not?? shes learned to scream how do i stop that? 

by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mamacoleman
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 2:58 PM
Oh dear, please don't feel guilty but you may be trying to start her on foods too early.  Many babies are strictly breast or formula fed for the first 6 months.  Experts usually recommend starting babies on first foods around 6 months.  A little rice is ok, for now but not too much.  Recent studies have shown babies that were fed foods too early tend to develop allergies, like to nuts, shellfish, and bee's.  It is very hard on their stomachs and may develop digestive problems later on in life.  Babies and kids in general eat more and less at times usually around growth spurts.  As long as she isn't loosing weight, she should be ok with smaller amounts for a while.  As for the screaming, the trick is to figure out why she is screaming.  It is basically a trial and error process.  Good Luck honey!
ellianasmommy
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 3:12 PM
I think it might be too early, but don't feel bad were all new at this.  I was told you can only feed cereal in small amounts and only in the bottle.  which i didn't do.  but i think your still suppose to do that at 4 month the earliest.  some mothers wait.  my daughter did okay at 4 months but very small amounts.  and by 6 months i tried her on baby food.  but one at a time and if they don't like it don't force it.
the teething is kinda easier.  see if her gums are all bumpy and red.  sometimes you can see it poking out.  when my daughter started teething she would get all cranky and have a fever and diarrhea.  if she is teething try the teething tablets and a wet wash cloth for the baby to suck on.  the teething tablets arn't medicine so its good to give to them. 

And since i fed my daughter spaghetti sauce too early she is now allergic to it and it sucks.  even though i started her after she was 8 months.  so start slow and pay attention to whats in everything.  i wish i would have waited. 
MadnSavsMomma
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Yes, you may have started her too early, but it's never too late to go back. Babies actually can thrive on just formula/breastmilk for the first year. My advice would just be to steer away from the rice and cereal for the next couple months and just increase the milk intake to make up for it. I'm sure you'll try again around 6 months or so and she will take it fine. Good luck!

cynee2415
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 3:56 PM
DONT FEEL BAD, MY DAUGHTER WILL BE A YEAR OLD IN A FEW DAYS AND I STILL HAVE A HARD TIME WITH HER. SHE EATS VERY LITTLE, IS A LITTLE PICKY, AND IS ONLY ON STAGE TWO FOOD BECAUSE SHE ONLY HAS TWO BOTTOM TEETH. IVE TRIED OTHER STUFF BUT SHE DOESNT LIKE IT. EVERY BABY IS DIFFERENT AND SOME DEVELOP SLOWER. WHILE I HAVE SOME FAMILY MEMEBERS WHO'S BABY'S BEGAN EATING (AND JUST FINE) AT 4 MONTHS...MY DAUGHTER DIDN'T START TIL 6 MONTHS. AND SOMEDAYS SHE STILL DOESNT EAT FOOD AT ALL. BUT IM TOLD BY HER DOCTOR SHES PERFECTLY HEALTHY, SO I HAVE A LITTLE WORRY, BUT NOT MUCH.
ava_vandal
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 3:59 PM

her tummy may not be able to handle the baby food yet. i didn't start either of my kids on baby food (or rice) until they were taking a full bottle, and still hungry. at least six months, i would guess. have you talked to the pediatrician?

.Peaches.
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 4:21 PM
You probably didn't start her too early....I started my daughter on rice cereal at 3 months.....just give her what she'll eat. If you're concerned about her not gaining enough weight or something, call your doctor and ask him/her what to do.
As for the screaming, you can't get her to stop screaming anymore than someone can get you to stop.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)