Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Cries in the middle of the night

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 10:53 PM
  • 3 Replies
My son has slept in his own bed (crib) since he was about 6 months old. When he got a little bit older, he figured out how to stand in his crib and hang on to the railing and start screaming. Mainly, I believe because he was scared and didn't want to go to bed. We would run in there as soon as he cried thinking something was wrong, and nothing usually never was. The more he cried the more we ran in there. Then we realized that's all he wanted us to do, so we stopped doing it even though it was hard. When he was about 5-6 months old, he started sleeping through the night (11pm-6am or 7am).

Now he is 15 months old and some of those things still happen. We lay him down, he will stand up and start jumping up and down and befin to cry. We know that is only because he doesn't want to go to bed. We find it a lot easier to ignore him now. Usually after about 10 minutes he is quiet and falls asleep. Then there are times when he wil cry and cry and cry, sometimes for about 20-30 minutes. I think that is because he is either over-tired or not tired at all. If Logan doesn't go to bed at the same time or around the same time every night, then his routine gets all messed.

My question to you fellow mothers is, does your child fall asleep and then for some weird reason just wake up and start crying? If so, does anybody know why or what I can do to maybe prevent that from happening? I have discovered that if I put some lullabies on, he doesn't do it as much compared to if I don't put music on at all. I still don't go in there right away if he cries, I usually give him a little bit, but I feel bad. I feel like I am neglecting him and he is crying out for me. Please help me.
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mandynalex2023
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 12:18 AM
Dont feel too bad my daughter just turned 3 and still does that sometimes.  Make sure you give him some milk before bed that way he is full and he will sleep more.  Thats about all I can offer you.  Dont feel like you are neglecting him because you are not.  You need your sleep and stuff too.
ChrissyReznor
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 12:40 AM
my daughter turned like 15months and all of a sudden she started waking up at like 3am just screaming for no reason.u have to let them cry it out.i hated it so much and i teared up almost all the time,the best advice my mom told me for it was "they don't cry blood" your child is not gonna die from crying for you.no matter what they eventually get tired after a while.
Mommy2Isaiah
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 12:46 AM
I totally hear you on the routine and the lullibies.  When I was pregnant I got so much heck from people because I would read to my belly and play music to my son when he was in my belly.  Now that he is out and 4 months old we still have a routine.  Especially for bedtime. 

We usually give him a bath followed by bedtime stories, and or music.  We will have a bottle.  6-8 oz of his formula and then a little water at the end to rinse his mouth out.  He usually falls asleep within 10 minutes. 

He will then sleep through the night.  Usually..... I know that it won't always be this easy though because my brothers have daughters older than he is and they are having a hard time with them at nights as well.

When you find something that works keep me posted as it will probably come in handy for me one of these days.  Until then take care.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)