Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need ideas

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:07 PM
  • 8 Replies
My 3 year old son is going through what i hope is just a phase. He recently was in the hospital for about a week and now that he is home he does not want to be by himself. he will not go in his room to play or anything. He wants to sleep right in between my boyfriend and I. When we tell him to go to his bed he screams like he is terrified of his room and ends up sleeping with us. This has been going on now for a little over a week now, we could use some alone time. How can I get him to sleep in his bed again?
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ilovemyboy
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:16 PM
Maybe if you tried staying with him in his bed until he falls asleep.  It worked for me, but make sure to tell him you'll be going back to your bed when he falls asleep.  That way he won't wake up crying if he sees that you're not there, hopefully.  Good luck and sorry if I'm not much help!
mandynalex2023
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:19 PM
Um you said he was in the hospital for a week.  He is probably scared that you leaving him he will get poked and stuff.  I dont know exactly what to tell you but if he absolutely wont sleep in his room let him fall asleep with you and then move him to his room.
jcast
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:21 PM
You could get him a new stuffed animal (Lovey) to protect him or maybe a special pillow or a new blanket.
luvmybaby
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:27 PM
Sorry to hear he was in the hospital. I hope everything is ok with him. I do agree with trying to lay with him till he falls asleep and do make sure you tell him you will be leaving when he falls asleep.

Otherwise maybe a chart. Start out with if he stays in his bed till midnight he gets a sticker, and slowly work it up to a full night. Reward him with an extra book or helping you with something-whatever you choose to do when he gets so many stickers in a row. Let him put the sticker up also. Good luck
Motherof3at21
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:41 PM

The sticker thing is actually a good idea. I have a 2 year old, and she gets stickers when she uses the potty or brushes her teeth without complaining, sleeping in her own bed, or other "good girl" things.  She absolutly loves it and the fact that she is getting a sticker, makes her want to do good things. 

About the laying with him thing it is a good idea, but after a few days you should see if he will let you sit in a chair in his room with him and then move a little closer to the door everyday until he realizes he doesn't need you to be in the room with him anymore. 

Drea123456789
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM

What I did for my daughter was take her shopping with me and let her pick out the dream catcher, the dream light , and the Pillow that glows in the dark.  When we got home that night  I read the little saying and talked about the dream catcher  with her. IF you have a Dollar tree where you live they sell them there for $1. Then i got her a Dream light and Pillow that glows in the dark got all of it at Walmart but they are about $20 a piece . Then I would read her a story and lay with her in her bed and rub her back did this for a hole month now she sleeps in her room all the time but she is a little older so i don't know if this will work for u but maybe you could try it out good luck

TempestRayne
by Donna on Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Quoting jcast:

You could get him a new stuffed animal (Lovey) to protect him or maybe a special pillow or a new blanket.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I hope he is doing better now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)