Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Me and my bf live with each other and we have a great relationship and do plan on getting married one day however, I just found out that I am pregnant and I was wondering Should I give my child the fathers last name or mine?
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 9:20 AM
Replies (31-35):
Cohensmama
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 4:43 PM
Personally I would not give him/her his last name, it is something that is so easy to change to his later on, but hard to change to yours.  I would just think long and hard and do what you think is best for you and your impending family.  Good luck with this tricky decision.
smk
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Quoting Mommy2BeNBaby2:

My hubby and I weren't married when I got pregnant but I knew I would give our baby his last name regardless of what happened between us.  As far as I see it, that name is part of who they are, it says a lot more than "my parents are or aren't married".  I mean thats a part of her blood, her heritage, I think it's only right to give her that and then if she in time decides that she doesn't want that last name when she is old enough to decide, then support her decision.  That's just my opinion :)

Call me old fashion but I agree. My daugher is 16 months and has her dad's last name. Now we are about to get married and I dont' have to change her last name or anything we will all 3 have the same name.
KellyGirl508
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 5:18 PM

I gave my daughter my boyfriends last name. Although now that I did, it upsets me that my own daughter that grew inside me for nine months, and I worked so hard to give birth to, doesn't even have the same last name as me. We have thought about changing it to mine and his last name, but we do hope to get married one day and I will have the same last name as her someday.  Anyway I fought so hard for her first name,  he at leasts deserves the last name!!

Dansmommie
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 7:33 PM
Call me old fashioned but i think the baby should have the fathers last name. I mean regardless of what happens to you and the father the father will always be the babies father. And so what if you dont have the same last name. My son and i dont have the same last name and i think thats ok with me. I realize that me and his father will get married once i get out of school and thats ok. But even if we didnt then its ok too. Because Michael (my bf) would always have something to do with him and he deserves to have his last name. But like everyone is saying its a personal opinion.
sweetmoonflower
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 7:39 PM
For me the choice was easy. Of course it really angered me that EVERY one kept asking me that question. Are you going to give the baby your last name or his? His mom asked, my mom asked, My momma didn't ask and him and I talked about it. I felt that she should have his last name. He was glad that I felt that way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)