Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms
Me and my bf live with each other and we have a great relationship and do plan on getting married one day however, I just found out that I am pregnant and I was wondering Should I give my child the fathers last name or mine?
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 9:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
zarias_mommy
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 2:45 PM
I am not married yet either, but I did give my daughter his last name, because if and when we do get married I will have his last name also and it would be a big pain in the ass to change her name then too.  And her middle name is my last name (its a girls name) so that made it easy for me to decide.  I think it is the right thing to do though.
Good luck with your decision.
Jen_
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 2:58 PM
I gave my daughter my last name even though at the time my BF and I were considering getting married.  Part of my decision was due to the fact that his family didn't like me.  The other part was that I wasn't entirely sure about our relationship and I figured I could always change it later.  Also I have a daughter and more than likely one day she will change her own name when she gets married.  I like her having my name now because since 1) my BF and I aren't together (and I can't stand him) 2) he hasn't seen my child in 2 years 3) when i call her school I can say this is so and so they associate my name with her 4) i like hearing my name when she says it and I know that if I had to teach her to say her name it would be like nails on a chalkboard.  Its easier to change it to his later than it is to change it to yours because you will need him to sign off on the name change.
mommykmk
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 3:12 PM
I was worried about the same thing when my daughter was born, at first I was going to give her his last name, but I didn't like the thought of her having a different last name then me, so we decided to make it Thomas- Knudson which is both of ours, we can take off Knudson if we get married. 
punkrockermama
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 3:19 PM

You can always go a totally different direction and "create" a new last name made from the letters of your two last names or give her a name that sounds good with the first name you pick out.

DonandDomslady
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Uhmm...My boyfriend and I aren't married or engaged yet (we too plan to be someday) either, but our son has his fathers last name. When I was  pregnant I thought I would hypenate his name, but that was before I knew he was a "He". But If he had been a girl we proabably would have hypenated it, only b/c if she were to get married someday, her name would change anyway.

Meganmegs2
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 4:17 PM
I gave my son his fathers last name too. We are not married yet either! Do what you think is going to be best for the 3 of you!
AprilAnney
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 4:22 PM
My logic in giving my son his father's last name was that I want my kids to have the same last name of at least one of their parents...and I hope to God I won't have the same last name for the rest of my life :)
lilkimmy007
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 4:23 PM
The Fathers!
LuckieNic
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 4:28 PM

For me personally, I wanted my daughter to have the same last name as me.  If I were to get married now, I wouldn't change my name without changing hers. 

BUT. . . I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to your situation.  Just whatever is your preference.

Katiebear
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 4:33 PM
If you plan on getting married or not does not matter what name you give the child. If you can make up you mind i would go with your last name first say it was smith and his was walker you could do smith-walker. I didn't like my DXH last name and we didn't have any kids together but i never changed my last name i just added to it. Then when we got a divorce i had already gone to court to take his last name off mine so i still had my name on everything nothing had to change expect my SS card. It does not cost much to have it changed, but you can only do it once in a lifetime of changing last name from being married and getting a divorce
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN