Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I'm so frustrated.....noisy neighbors

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 8:13 PM
  • 14 Replies

So I got the head boss to talk to the upstairs neighbors about the noise level. I've complained and complained and nothing is being done. If anything, it has gotten worse. I'm the relief manager at an apartment building. My mom is the resident manager and her boss is the property manager (pretty high up there) Last night I slipped a note under their door to ask to keep the noise down. No deal. I have a 2 month old and a 2 year old. Today, they slipped the note all torn into little peices back under my door. The wife's brother-in-law pounded on the floor on purpose and 2 of the lights in my ceiling fan went out.  There's way more to this story but I don't have time to write all of it. I've been crying all day because I"m so frustrated and they are making it worse by doing it on purpose. I want to go up there and kick her a** so bad but I can't because I'm the relief manager. You'd think I'd have some more pull here but apparently not. If anything, I have less because of it. It's disturbing my kids nap times and bed times and NOTHING can be done! I can't believe that! I want to swear so bad but I'm not going to. My baby is up now. Someone please help!

by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetmoonflower
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM
Have you tried calling the cops? I know it's not a great option, but if they are deliberatly being nosier,  If you let the appartment manager know they should be able to issue a lease violation. You may have to call while they are being noisy to get them to do anything let them hear what you hear. Ask them to come to your appartment first when they are noisy so they can. If they managment still doesn't do anything after you have complained to them plenty call the cops while they are being noisy. You could ask they come to you first so they can hear what you hear. There is no sense in people being such jerks. In our last appartment we knocked on the neighbor's door and asked them to turn the noise down and they did, then we each (mostly us) would knock hard on the wall if the noise was too much and they or we would turn it down.  I hope things get better for you.
LisaTela
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 9:26 PM
In my city there is a noise ordinance that goes into effect at 10 o'clock at night.  Any excessive noise after that can be complained about to the cops.  I would call and see what you can do.  It may make your situation worse for a little while but if you keep at it it may get better.  It won't help for the nap times but maybe at least at night.  That is a really tough situation.  If you can prove that they are doing it on purpose it can be considered harassment.  I have a criminal justice degree and I learned that much at least.  If you really want to get them out you can get a notebook and document all the occasions that they are being excessively loud.  I know that being a mom with two little ones may make it tough, but it might be worth it in the end.  Get witness statements as well.  i.e. if you have company over.  If you do call the police, explain to them about the note and what they did to it.  Maybe if the police speak to them it will help.  You should not have to live like that.  Especially since you work for the building.  People are so disrespectful!!  Let me know how you make out.
mom2cali123
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 9:34 PM
Since your mom is resident manager can't she move you to a different apt.?
emily351982
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 9:46 PM
I'd call the cops especially since they are being so ugly about it.  That's ridiculous.  It sounds like you were nice about it.  We had a lady come from above us to tell us our tv was too loud.  My husband apologized and explained that he was making sure our surround sound worked b/c he had just put it up.  And she kind of got an attitude about and said, "Oh it worked."  And she said that a few times with an attitude.  We're always really nice about things so it kind of bothered me that she was that way about it but whatever...
Your neigbors sound HORRIBLE!  Hopefully, there's someway that you can get rid of them or something.  So sorry you have to deal with THAT.
nicolesmom822
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 9:51 PM
yes call the cops is there any way you could move?  i know thats a hassel but it sounds like this situation might cause a lot of mess.  thats so rude if they know u have 2 babies.  do they have kids?  doesnt sound like they do juding on how rude they are.
aluvingmom03
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 9:52 PM
I dont have a problem with noisey neighbors but I do got annyoing ones i had to put things in check a few months ago they got to the point where they be over here all the time i say my son taking a nap dont wake him they act like they where going back to the bathroom than say oh he was awake when i clearly heard them back in his room i just wanted to say sorry 4 what your going threw with your neighbors
kicknscreamn222
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 10:02 PM
Hi! I'm new here, but I totally understand how you feel.  I'm stuck inbetween two noisey neighbors, both of which have small children of their own, but that doesn't stop the late night argument fests, hard beating music, tinkering with loud gas powered remote control cars under my son's window at midnight, slamming doors....it just doesn't end.  It's too bad you can't use your position and relatives positions more to your advantage, it seems that at least they would care enough about you and your children to do something about it.  You shouldn't have to move, you aren't the problem, they are. Plus, I have never seen a lease that didn't say something about noise violations in it and being a reason to terminate lease if it becomes a problem.  Like the others are saying, calling the cops may be the only thing left for you at this point.  I consider it almost daily for my situation, but I fear that it will make things worse for me and that sounds kinda like your feelings too.  Well all I can say is go with your instincts, try to talk to your family (the higher management) more, and good luck!
AndrewsMommy01
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 10:06 PM
I know how you feel. i had to deal with ass holes for a year and they fialy got kicked out last week let me tell u am happy but i am scared to see what kind of neighbors i am going to get now. all i have to say is i feel for you and good luck.
TinkRAMESAM
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 10:13 PM
we had a similar issue where we live... every time we shut out door, the upstairs neighbors wouldpound on the floor.  and then one day the wife saw my mom outside and told her that we should stop slamming our door (!!!!????) as it upsets her husband, hence the pounding.  we were like, um, we just close it like normal...  nor sure what you mean.  well, it got so bad, where they were pounding for ANYTHING that we called mgmt who told us they could move us or we could call the cops... so we called the cops.  we pay almost $1400 a month for our apt, so you would expect some cooth from these people...  ridiculous.  we have since moved to a diff apt because they refused to stop, despite being ticketed twice!

call the cops...  or egg them.  that is always fun.  (i am kidding...but it would be fun!)
lauraandboys
by on Mar. 20, 2007 at 2:24 AM
Yes, they have 3 kids. Including a 2 year old.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN