Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Breastfeeding vs. Formula Opinions

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 11:32 PM
  • 29 Replies
I was not able to breastfeed my son, I tried everything under the son, went thru La Leche, went to the clinic in town and everything other kind of "help" I could find, but nothing worked for us.  He screamed bloody murder everytime I'd put him up to me, and I didn't produce but an once a day combined when pumping several times a day.  So the clinic's last resort was to feed him formula thru a tube and plastic nipple that went over my own, and still the same results.  I could see it was stressing him out and was making me stressed as well - not to mention somewhat of a failure - so I just gave up and went to the formula in a bottle.  Now that I'm about to have my second child, I've been asked several times about what I'm going to do with this one - and honestly I don't know.  It kinda stresses me out just thinking about going thru all that again.  So I'm at a loss on this issue - does anyone have any suggestions or things that helped them or even opinions on the subject?
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MammaMcC
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 11:37 PM
Every baby is different try again if you feel up to it but have the formula on hand just in case.  I had the same problem I tried and tried got mastitis twice then finally gave up.  I still feel that guilt sometimes that I only breastfeed for 3 months but she is happier and so am I because it was so much of a fight.
mickie04us
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 11:42 PM
Its up to how you feel about it. if you are afraid of it not working out again, then dont put yourself through the worry and stress of forcing yourself to. But if you feel like you will be successful, or at least able to handle the fact that it may not work, then go for it! But of course those are decisions you probably wont be able to make until you're holding the lil darling. I had trouble bf my daughter in the beginning, but from 5 wks on we exclusively breastfed. She finally caught on and my boobies filled up quickly. But it took alot of time on my part, I never slept much between pumping almost constantly and trying to get her to latch on. The point is if you dont think you can handle it, dont feel pressured to put yourself through it.
mommatobe1
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 11:46 PM
I have not started brestfeeding yet- but I am going to definitely gift it a shot. From everything I have read, breast milk is the best of the two because breastmilk provides more antibodiesfor your little one than formula. I went to a breastfeeding class and they showed me techniques to get the baby to latch. A lot of times babies who are breastfeed are prone to have jaundice more so than those who were fed formula, this may cause your doctor to tell you to go to formula, but you don't have to, and breast fed babies loose more weight the first couple of weeks after birth than those on formula.I have bought the dr brown's electric pump (139.99) and have been practicing for when I do have my baby. So far, I am lactating, just not at an abundant amount just yet. I'd say give it a try on your second baby, it may work for you it may not, but at least you tried. You can also firmly squeeze your breasts to see if you can release anything- if so its probably clear white color- normal until you start fully lactating. Try for a couple days before going directly to formula, sometimes it may take a little time, thats why I choose to start pumping now so that I can feed my baby day I give birth. Good Luck!
Atarismommy
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 11:53 PM
I tried breastfeeding in the hospital and a few days after I got out. The nurses were sooo pushy with it.. and mean to me.. (at one point a nurse told me since I smoke, I cant cuddle with my daughter cuz it could cause sids.. so in other words.. I could kill her by cuddling with her) My daughter had lost too much weight in the hospital so we were also giving her formula.. I just.. felt really uncomfortable breastfeeding.. so I pumped for a while.. and accidently missed a few pumping opportunities and my milk dried up.. I found that the formula was easier.. and I liked that I could actually see how much she was getting.. rather than just assuming she got enough.  I still feel bad that I didn't stick with it.. but I think it would have been too hard on me. I like seeing my fiance feed her.. I like seeing exactly how much she's eating..  If I were you, I'd trust your instincts.. I was a lot happier after switching to formula.. a lot less stressed too.
mescheve
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 11:58 PM
I had the same experience with my oldest as you did with your son, it was awful. I wasn't sure if I should even try with number 2, but I decided I would try, but this time if it didn't work I wouldn't stress or feel bed because my oldest did so great with formula. When she was born she started right away no problem and nursed until my OB said I needed to stop because I was pregnant with 3#, and she was 12 months when she stopped. #3 nursed to about 17 months and #4 is now weaning and she is 13 months. I really think it has a lot to do with your stress, I was so stressed with #1 and by the time #2 came along I felt I knew what I was doing a little better. I, also, think it had something to do with my oldest getting a bottle in her 24 hours. I was really tired and my MIL (who I refuse to listen to ever again, not just because of this), said I should have the hospital give her bottles for her night time feedings so I could rest, it sounded like a great idea, but after that I couldn't get her to latch on. With #2 I didn't do that and she never had a problem nursing. That may or may not be a reason, I don't know, but I think you shouldn't stress about it. If you can nurse great if you can't great, my formula fed baby is just as healthy as the rest.
girlzmama
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 12:32 AM
I say go for it. You will never know unless you try. And if its works, great! But at least you'll know, instead of not trying at all and then feeling guilty later on down the road. I think you are a little bit more laid back also with your second child. Read up on galactogues, like fenugreek to help boost your milk supply at the beginning. Good luck!
cadwalladerkw
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 12:38 AM
    I Tried to breastfeed my baby girl.. I tyred for 3weeks and she was on my Brest all the time it seemed.. Finlay i gave her formula it was the best thing i could have done.. She sleep most of the all nite all..The reason i couldn't brest feed was due to the fact that i smothered my daughter and i didn't produce any milk or a lot of milk.. You do what u feel is right but if u get frustrated then ur baby gets the same way.. Don't feel Guilty about it.. You have to do whats going to be best for ur son...
LeaJnice
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 12:41 AM
 I had to stop Breastfeeding at 2 months because I just wasn't making enough. I tried hot showers,washcloths,massaging. It just didn't work for me.They say the more you pump and nurse the more you make. which seems like a lie. I spent all day and night nursing and pumping every couple of hours like clockwork and I'd only get about 1 oz each time.  My son hated to nurse. Didnt even like it the day he was born. The nurses/and lactaction consultate would joke to me " he supposed to like this hes a boy" I was super stressed and overtired and going crazy over it. It just didn't work for us and I am ok with that. Next baby I am going to try again but if he/she responds the same way and I don't produce I will be fine with formula. Hes an amazing baby so im guessing formula didn't ruin him : )
momeez3boys
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 1:47 AM
I think every baby is different.  Definatly try right after birth the odds of success will be greater.  My first son i tried and he wanted nothing to do with it.  My second son i tried and he wanted to much that i couldn't keep up.  And my third son well we nailed that right on the head and 9 months later we are still breastfeeding.   Hope it works out!
cynee2415
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 2:04 AM
my daughter is one and i was only able to breast feed her for 3 weeks. she was born very small, number 1, so she couldnt latch on. then i did the pumping thing...but that didnt work out well because i couldnt produce enough milk. i was exhausted and getting frustrated. not to mention i was bleeding. but im pregnant again and im more than willing to give it another shot. its just the fact that when you can both do it and it works....its a great bonding experience. but of course there's many other ways to bond. dont feel bad. if its ment to be, itll be.Wink formula is just as good.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN