Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

when was the first time you took your baby to the beach and to the pool?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 10:24 AM
  • 7 Replies
I'm just wondering b/c my baby is 3 mths old and I'm dying to go to the beach and start surfing again.  I've got friends coming in town next week too and I know they want to go to the beach.  I really don't want my son to get overheated or anything.  I'm probably going to get one of those fans with the spray bottles.  I'm thinking about geting one of those tent shade things for him too...and of course I'll rub him down with baby sunblock (50 SPF).
Any other advice or recommendations?
by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gorgesmom
by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 10:38 AM
Well if he's in a stroller make sure he's covered from the sun and has plenty of liquids to keep him hydrated. If you can find a shady spot for him that would be the best place for him... otherwise don't keep him out there too long. Babies aren't adapted to the climate as well as we are... they are very sensitive to the heat and cold.  Otherwise you should be ok.... enjoy the beach!!
Have fun,
Theresa
tlc576
by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 10:40 AM
the first time my daughter got a chance to go to the beach was right when she turned one. She loved it and is blessed with my skin and doesnt burn at all. Luckily its still cool enough that your child *shouldnt* get over heated as long as you dress him/her cooly (just a onsie should be fine) They usually say not to use sunblock till they are at least 6 months, but as long as you dont put it on a body part the baby doesnt chew on then you should be fine. We had a bassinet that had a net type material that zipped up so sand couldnt get in and my friend with a younger child loved using it. just go with your gut, make sure you have plenty of fluids (at this age there shouldnt be just water or you can throw off the electrolyte balance) and make sure to reapply the sunscreen often (esp after being in water) The spray fan should work great. I would limit it to a couple hours though if your baby isnt used to being outside for long periods of time.
Nicci312
by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 10:44 AM
I bought a tent and we went when he was about 4 months old. I also bought a bumbo seat (it was so great!!) and that helped beach trips a lot. As long as their little skin doesn't see the sun too much I think you are okay. We spent a lot of time at the beach last summer, and my son did fine :)
hah311
by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 10:47 AM
Hi! My son was bMay 17th and we had him in the poolowing month! He loved it!! Just make sure to use plenty of sunscreen. The one that sprays onis the best ( i thnk its coppertone baby) As for the beach I believe he was 3 months
MommyRhi
by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 12:04 PM
My oldest was bout 3 months the first time i took him to the pool.. they love the water you just have to keep them cool and know that you cant stay as long as you used to. but it wont hurt to go for an hour or two if its not crazy hot outside and keep the sunblock on :O) have fun
trtl1der
by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 12:12 PM
Oooh!!  be sure to take your camera!  I'm sure he's going to LOVE it!  We had my son in the pool at 7 weeks old.  Like everyone else has said, just go with your gut and keep an eye on him.  I think you'll know when he's had enough...
emily351982
by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 1:47 PM
Okay that makes me feel better b/c I was worried that people would think I was a bad mom if I took him, lol.  He loves baths so I just know he's gonna love the pool!  I can't wait!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN