Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for going green- what do you do?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ladies,

Some of us are veterans to green living and others are new and looking for great advice on how to become greener. I would like to give everyone an opportunity to share recipes and suggestions on becoming green.

by on Mar. 14, 2008 at 10:34 PM
Replies (31-40):
carseatrecycler
by New Member on May. 29, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Hi! 
I started volunteering for a local hospital program that recycles used, damaged, expired, and unwanted car seats and bicycle helmets!  I'm trying to get the word out for their recycling events!  I live in Portland Oregon and the next event is:  Saturday June 14, 2008 10:00 am - 2:00 pm at Legacy Salmon Creek Hospital.  2211 NE 139th St.  Vancouver, WA Call 360-487-1000 for more information or visit http://www.legacyhealth.org/body.cfm?id=2072 

Tammee Meneghin

Car Seat Recycler

kimmykat
by New Member on Jun. 3, 2008 at 8:05 AM
I just started this whole going green.
we just began to recycle
reusable shopping bags
natural cleaning products
wash in cold water
changing out our light bulbs
using reusable water bottles
and we are going to go organic

I have to say this is alot of fun.I got my DH all into it.He now takes a reusable lunch bag to work.Its fun because we are ding it together and we are becoming healthier and so is our planet.
mamarose12
by on Jun. 25, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Here are a few things my family does to help the enviornment...

1.) Bought energy effecient washer/dryer set.
2.) Recycle plastic, paper and aluminum.
3.) Drive slower than the speed limit, as long as nobody is following close behind!
4.) Reuse all plastic sandwich bags.
5.) Unplug all appliances that are not in use.
6.) Digital thermostat.
7.) Turn the heat down in winter, and turn the air up in summer.
8.) Turn off the water when brushing teeth.
9.) Use energy effecient light bulbs in every room of the house.
10.) Leaving a room in the house, the lights are always switched off.
11.) Use non~toxic cleaners.
12.) Buy organic when possible.
13.) No longer buy plastic water bottles to drink from.
14.) Do all errands for the week in one trip.

~I do many other things too but I won't post them for fear that I may get laughed at!! ;-) These are just a few things that I hope will help someone else!

Amy Lynn

aikidomom
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2008 at 7:41 PM
These are all great things! I'm impressed...
I've been:
1. recycling bottles and cans
2. putting junk mail and envelopes, office paper, boxes and shredded paper in the recycle bin
3. recycling the right plastics curbside
4. riding my bike to work when possible
5. running all errands on one trip
6. using re-usable grocery bags (my store gives me 6 cents per bag back!)
7. turn off lights when not in room
8. keep thermostat at 80 during summer and 78 during winter
9. get my work people to recycle plastics and cans for my kids to benefit
10. ordered paper and cardboard recycle bins for work
11. pack my kids' lunch in re-usable containers (no plastic bags)
12. Using my own re-usable starbucks mug at starbucks and saving 10 cents per cup

I would like to get my husband to be a little more excited about being green - he's slowly coming around...
I'd like to - in the near future:
1. collect rainwater (not a bad idea with all these fires and drought in CA)
2. use the 'better' light bulbs
3. get solar panels
4. install more dual pane windows in my house
5. get a motorized scooter!
6. install surge protectors at my tv and computer and turn off switch at night

Can anybody help me find more ways to make immediate changes?
scooby27
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2008 at 4:42 PM
My husband just installed my clothes line outside so that I don't have to use the dryer all the time.  That should save electricity and keep the clothes from wearing out so fast.

I'm excited!!!!

I have also stopped making unneccessary trips with the car and bringing lunch to work so I don't drive at lunch time.  My office is 7.5 miles away.  I can go 10 days on a tank of gas!
greenyourdecor
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2008 at 11:45 AM
Going green can definitely can get expensive, but the first step is reducing your own consumption. Don't get rid of a perfectly good item you already have in order to replace it with a greener option (unless, of course, you are donating it to someone or helping out another who needs it more than you do). Find ways to reduce your impact in small ways: find a way to recycle or repurpose an item you were going to throw away; start with something small like buying reusable shopping bags or giving up disposable plates and cups. All of these are changes I have implemented in my own life.

If you are going to buy new items (which should be more out of need than want) be conscious of what you are purchasing. I blog about eco-friendly home products, and many of them are very pricey. But it is for this very reason that I set up price categories so that budget-conscious shoppers can find items they can afford.

For example:
$0-50 category: http://www.greenyourdecor.com/?cat=57
$50-100 category: http://www.greenyourdecor.com/?cat=58
$100-500 category: http://www.greenyourdecor.com/?cat=59

You just have to be conscious of your buying options as a consumer and choose wisely. And it's not always more expensive. I found recycled toilet paper at my traditional grovery store the other day that was cheaper than the toilet paper I used to buy. So I made the decision right then and there to switch. Simple.

Hope this was helpful :o)

Visit Green Your Decor for eco-friendly home decor products, projects and tips!

And check out Jennae Signature Design for all your graphic design needs!

kymberlia
by Member on Jul. 14, 2008 at 10:15 PM
We've been doing the following for quite sometime:

~Recycling (for over 15 years!!!)
~Chemical free cleaners (for the last 10 years!!!)
~Bulk Buying most of our items (for 8 years)
~Energy conserving light bulbs (for 2 years)
~Special Showerheads (for 15 years)
~Turning off all lights and TV's when not in use
(since I was a kid!- so I have done the same in my own household)
~Utilizing windows and fans whenever possible vs. A/C
(since I was a kid- so I have continued on in my own house)
~Running as many errands as possible in one trip
(at least 10 years)
~Car Pooling whenever possible 
(since I was a kid- so I do now as an adult)
~Going to the Farmer's Market 
(For about 15 years)
~Replaced all windows in house with energy efficient windows- (8 years ago) 

Things we have MOST RECENTLY been doing:

~Reusable bags at ALL the store we frequent
~Organic babyfood when my youngest was on babyfood
~Trying to buy more organic food (just really wish it wasn't so expensive)

Amber1218
by on Jul. 29, 2008 at 5:02 AM

The three R's baby!

We are trying very hard to eliminate plastics

Cloth diapering

Clean with baking soda, lemon and vinegar

Instead of cranking up the heat in the winter, we put on another layer

Hope this helps!

Knuckle_pumpkin
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2008 at 1:16 PM

There are so many great thing on here..but here are a few more..

I visit the website  www.climatecounts.org it is a website that tracks the environmental impact of certain companies I only purchase from the greenest of these..you can also write to the companies and tell them yay or nay for what they are doing..

I checked with my local power company and though it is a little more a month Iswitched to wind power.

We unplug everyhing to reserve energy I live out of town so we take one trip in town a day and park and all of our intown errands are walked too

Everything that I buy is packaged in Recyclable material...Like tin cans and glass..espicall because our local recyciling center is small and doesnt take all types.

The most important thng that I do is include my kids on my efforts I tell them about the damage to the earth and they help with me with cleaning and our garden and recycling the best thing I can do is pass it on to them...

tedebear
by New Member on Aug. 23, 2008 at 7:46 AM

Hi mamas! I am new to the group, but wanted to jump in with what we do as well. :)

~ We recycle & reuse, of course. This has cut our use of plastic trash bags tremendously. And of course we use 7th Generation trash bags.
~ Use reusable bags for grocery shopping, and we are getting better at using our Chico bags for trips to the mall and Target.
~ I stopped buying paper towels about 3 months ago. So no waste there. We use cloth napkins for meals (always have).
~ We've changed all our lightbulbs over to CFL's a long time ago. Plus we rarely have lights on unless it is nighttime.
~ Try to conserve water as much as possible. I do have to handwash dishes, so it is a littler harder.
~ Use only cold water for laundry and hang clothes on the line as much as possible.
~ Use natural cleaners for house and laundry. (I'm switching to vinegar for the rinse cycle when my current fabric softener is empty.. which will be in another 3 loads. hehe)
~ Using natural personal care products: Shampoos, soaps, shaving lotion, toothpaste, mouthwash, face cleansers/lotions, deodorants.
~ Buying more organic foods and buying more local foods as well. I also buy Fair Trade coffee (Gotta love Newman's Own).
~ Trying to buy products that are in recyclable packing. (Sometimes I forget to check the numbers.)
~ When we have to upgrade appliances, we purchase Energy Star products.
~ Drive more sensibly by combining as many errands as possible. Using the AC less. No idling while waiting.

Hmm can't think of anything else right yet. LOL But anyways, I'm looking forward to being art of the group. :)

Jodi

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)