Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for going green- what do you do?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ladies,

Some of us are veterans to green living and others are new and looking for great advice on how to become greener. I would like to give everyone an opportunity to share recipes and suggestions on becoming green.

by on Mar. 14, 2008 at 10:34 PM
Replies (51-57):
mommysrc
by on Oct. 19, 2008 at 12:35 AM

This is great!  Thanks for the tips!

Quoting MelissaC214:

I went to a night class on increasing energy efficiency in your home for cheap.  Here's what I learned:

Clean fridge coils every month

Clean/replace furnace filter every 2 months

check cold water filter on washing machine line for sediment

insulate water heater pipes-hot and cold- 10 feet past water heater to reduce heat loss and condensation

put a full 1L bottle in your toilet tank to reduce water flushed down

install low flow facets or add rings or washers to your sink faucets

low flow showerheads of course

clean the coils on your dehumidifier

calk or spray foam under door and window trim around door or window to prevent air leaks

calk or spray foam under faceplates on electric outlets and switches on outer walls of your house to prevent cold air coming in

shrink wrapping windows in the winter does help a little

unplug electrical appliances not in use like chargers, toasters, etc.  Phantom plug load uses tons of electricity each year that isn't going towards anything

use CFL bulbs, and never use hallogen, especially in lights that are on at least 6 hours a day

if you have a regular schedule, and if your hot water heater will allow, get a timer and set it so that it decreases water temp at night or when you don't need hot water

monitor fridge and freezer temps with thermometers so you know if you can turn them down or not

install an on-demand water heater

don't use the dry cycle on the dishwasher

get a front loading washer-it uses 4-6 gallons per load instead of 40 gallons

have a good old fashioned cord phone in your home-doesn't use electricity and works when the power is out

wear slippers-warm feet equals warm body

turn the heat down at night or when you're gone to work-get a programmable thermostat so it will automatically do it every day.  1 degree cooler per hour saves 1% of your heating cost-really adds up over a year!

Check your local power and gas/water/utilities company for rebates, free efficiency checks on your home, etc.  I've got some websites for this somewhere, when I find them I'll post them!

If I think of any more tips I'll let you know! 

PcolaC
by New Member on Oct. 28, 2008 at 2:16 PM

I found a website and viewed a webcast on going green, both were very informative and helpful.  They have helped me to make a lot of changes in my life but especially in my HOME!!  I am adding the link so that others have this wonderful opportunity as well.  Good luck and God Bless! http://www.gogreenwebcast.com/prosper

chassity
by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Something other than all the things that everyone has mentioned, when I buy hygiene or cleaning products, I use less than the recommended amount or even less than the amount I would have normally used to make it last longer.  You can less shampoo or detergeant and it cleans just as well.  We've come so acustomed to large portions and large quantities that we don't realize we use too much of other everyday things!

GinasJewelry
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2008 at 10:46 PM

I also have a page with all sorts of GREEN tips check it out! Living Green in a Convenience Based Family. Find tips, share tips, just say hi!!

www.mysouthmaindesigns.com/Ginasjewelry
heavensent423
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:14 PM

i am a preschool teacher so iuse alot of reycled products to make things withthe kids. i ask the parents to bring in ther stuff as well. this year my daughters cher squad collected cans and bottles to reycle to rasie money to go to florida. i am working on theother stuff

kels81
by New Member on May. 28, 2009 at 8:56 AM

We:

buy fuel efficient cars

reuseable shopping bags

cloth diapers for both our kids

breastfeed

HE lightbulbs

recycle

no disposable water bottles, paper plates, paper towel etc..... However then u do use the dishwasher alot more

natural cleaning agents- gotta love vinegar :)

Kelsie

tamifedrigo
by on May. 29, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Purchase totally chemical free, enzyme based cleaning products.  I have used these and can attest that they really, really work.  My friends and family are all purchasing them and cannot say enough about them.  The price is comparable to store brands like Windex, Clorox, etc., and you can have them delivered right to your home. 

No costly sign up is required.  You can become a preferred customer for absolutely free and purchase products at wholesale.  After the initial purchase of the Green Your Home pack, you only have to order one item every 8 weeks, and who would be able to do that. 

Take a look and at least check out the products.  Order one to sample if you chose at retail, you will not be disappointed.  All you do is spray, leave for a minute or two, and the product breaks down and eats away the debris.  The stain wash itself is amazing.  I have gotten stains out that no one could!

If you have questions let me know, but you owe it to yourself and your family to at least take a look.

www.wowgreen.net/22651

Tami

Independent Wow Green Distributor

www.wowgreen.net/22651

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN