Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

May have jumped the gun PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:30 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 197 Total Views

My DH lost his job in december and has been having issues finding another job due to the crappy economy. We were good for January but I was starting to worry about february. So, I decided to take on a few more kids. I got lucky and found an old friend on myspace and she so happened to need childcare. I thought to myself "how perfect!!". They started this monday. So now I have her DD who is 3 and her DS who is 8 mos. I also have a 6 month old girl, and another 3 yr old girl and her 4 yr old brother. Everything went great yesterday until lunch time. she warned me her DD was a picky eater but forgot to mention she is not only picky but she cries the entire time she's eating. And even when she does like something she takes forever to eat it! Her brother is good for the most part. He's a fusser but I know his parents hold him alot so it will take some time for him to get used to not being held constantly. I guess I got spoiled with my other older kids. They eat like champs! So this will definantly be an adjustment for everyone. I'm just worried how this is gonna throw everyone off. Again, today was smooth until lunch time. We had Lasagna, salad, cheesy bread, and manadarin oranges. My other kids ate it up and were out of the kitchen within 20 minutes. She took forever to eat the lasagna and the bread, then had a bite of her salad. She immediatly started crying. I normally have a 2 bite rule. They have to take at least 2 "big girl/boy" bites if they dont like something. She refused to eat anymore and cried for 20 minutes about it. She woke up her brother who I had just layed down for nap time. Lunch time is scheduled from 11:00-11:30. She didnt get done with her lasagna until almost 12:15! Jeez, im exhausted lol. Her mom told me how nuts it makes her that her DD is so picky so I told her id work with her on it and try to broaden her horizons. This little one is givin me a run for my money. IMO I guess little ones are picky because the parents allow them to be. My kids (my biological kids I mean) eat whats in front of them because they know they wont e allowed anything else. Same with my DC kids. The only reason im alittle worried is because the little girl im having problems with doesnt seem to care that she will be hungry. I know as a mom kids wont let themselves starve but it seems to me she doesnt care either way honestly. What does everyone else do as far as picky eaters??? I want to attack this now so we can figure something out. I want lunch time to be enjoyable not a battle. And I certainly dont want loads of food waisted. So what do you guys think?? Any suggestions???

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
work-n-mom
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:10 AM

a child will eat if he/she is hungry.  going long periods of time isn't great but not detrimental.  if she was acting this way out of being spoiled/picky or just to practice control issues then i'd be more firm about it and set the tone right off the bat that this is lunch, you will eat atleast this much, take your time, cry if you must but eventually it will get old and you will comply and in no time there will be harmony BUT we know she already had these issues before you and it seems to be all foods.  i wouldn't walk this uphill battle w/ her every day if it's compromising everyone else.  if i had the load of kids you had and her, i'd feed them and let them have an enjoyable meal.  let the little girl w/ the eating phobia do her thing and when she eventually gets hungry, feed her what is on the menu or atleast offer it to her before you heat it and waste it.  don't let her go choosing whatever she wants to eat at whatever time she feels like eating, etc... but if she's not ready for lunch or wanting that particular meal then let it go and later if she says she's hungry you can let her know that her lunch is waiting for her and it's her choice to eat it or not and leave it at that.  otherwise she'll be snacking all day and this will continue forever. 

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

smswright
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I would just serve her what I serve the other children.  I do not make specials meals for anyone (unless someone is allergic to something then I substitute for that particular item).  If I have a child who won't eat something then fine, they wait until snack time.  They will not starve if they don't eat for a few hours.  I figure they will eat when they get hungry.  I have only had one real picky eater and his mom sent his lunch with his everyday and that worked out.  It was kind of a pain because he always had something I had to heat in the microwave but I dealt with it.  We have lunch starting at 11:30 and naps at 12:30 so if they haven't cleaned their plate before nap time, they don't get to finish.  Give her some time to get used to your rules and things will probably so better.  Good luck.

kalikona
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Quoting smswright:

I would just serve her what I serve the other children.  I do not make specials meals for anyone (unless someone is allergic to something then I substitute for that particular item).  If I have a child who won't eat something then fine, they wait until snack time.  They will not starve if they don't eat for a few hours.  I figure they will eat when they get hungry.  I have only had one real picky eater and his mom sent his lunch with his everyday and that worked out.  It was kind of a pain because he always had something I had to heat in the microwave but I dealt with it.  We have lunch starting at 11:30 and naps at 12:30 so if they haven't cleaned their plate before nap time, they don't get to finish.  Give her some time to get used to your rules and things will probably so better.  Good luck.

I definantly dont make special meals for anyone either unless there are allergies. Thats why I was tryin to figure out how to get her to eat what was in front of her without so much of a fight. Today she was better. She will only be coming mon-thurs and ocasional fridays so we'll see how things go next week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)