Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

before and after school care?

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:38 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 260 Total Views

does anyone do this? i was thinking, next year we plan on buying a house and ill be living in a new area and i would like to start fresh in daycare. im really trying to get out of it if i can but i was thinking of doing before and after school care. i plan on buying a minivan anyway, and i was thinking of taking on 3-4 kids from like 6am-til when school starts, id drop them off, and then pick them up from school at 3:00 or whenever they let out, and keep them til their parents pick them up after work. ive heard of several providers that do this kind of service, but im wondering, how much do you charge for that? it'd only be like 4 or 5 hours a day, and for a full day i charge 25.00. but then again with gas prices and all that, im wondering what a good price would be. anyway thanks in advance for the replies :)

by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
christyg
by on May. 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM

If I ever started my daycare over again from scratch, I would do before and after school and have the middle of the day to myself. In my state, I can have 10 kids if they are all over 5yo. It would be a full house, for sure, but it would be worth it. You can't charge as much, but you can make up for it in numbers!

I would charge a before school weekly rate, an after school weekly rate, and a combined rate....some families will only need one or the other and won't be willing to pay for both.

LBDaycare
by on May. 14, 2009 at 8:24 AM

thanks for your reply :) ive been waiting weeks for someone to reply. lol. this group is not very active.

christyg
by on May. 22, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Quoting LBDaycare:

thanks for your reply :) ive been waiting weeks for someone to reply. lol. this group is not very active.

This group SUCKS! Join us at "Home Daycare Providers"....it is really active! -- Lots of cool people!

LBDaycare
by on May. 22, 2009 at 3:41 PM

i used to joined on there...wenders is very rude so i left the group. :)

christyg
by on May. 22, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Quoting LBDaycare:

That's too bad that you let one person ruin it for you =(

LBDaycare
by on May. 23, 2009 at 4:01 PM

its okay..she is rude to others as well. and her little "click" that follows her are rude as well.

Quoting christyg:

Quoting LBDaycare:

That's too bad that you let one person ruin it for you =(

Jill_MN
by on Jun. 7, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I've thought about doing before and afterschool care too ... maybe someday ... when I'm just tired of doing it all day every day.  I have also considered doing summer daycare for school agers in addition to before and after school care.

Some families may need before school care only.  Some families may need afterschool care only.  Some may need both.  I'd try to take as many as you can during those times.  I don't think it'd be unreasonable to charge somewhere around $10.00 a day for a before school session or an after school session (so if they attended both before and after it'd be $20.00 or myabe they'd get a discount if they attended both times of the day).  Yes, it may not be as many hours, but like you said you'd be driving them to school ... you'd probably give them breakfast, or after school it would be a snack ...you could always add other "benefits" such as homework help after school, after school trips, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)