Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

unsirc. question

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 337 Total Views

We went to my little boys 15 month check up and the doctor said that when boys are uncircumcised that i need to pull his skin back little by little.

But when we left the hospital after he was born i was told by several nurses to NOT pull his skin back because his skin will automatically do it. So now i dont know what to do. do any of u have any advice or experience with this? i appreciate the help!

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Betc04
by Member on Jun. 23, 2009 at 12:18 AM

DO NOT PULL HIS FORESKIN BACK!!! Sorry...lots of older peds tell moms to pull the skin back (Ben's first did). You should never do this. As he gets older the foreskin will naturally retract. If you need to clean in there you can pull it back a little bit but don't pull it back "little by little" in order to stretch it. As I said, as he grows it will retract on its own. You only need to worry if it gets pulled back and tightens around the tip of his penis, or if it gets red or enflamed. Also, watch to make sure its not adhering to the tip of his penis. You would notice a ballooning situation when he urinates...do a little research for yourself and talk to some other doctors too. Good luck!

sallymoon
by on Jun. 23, 2009 at 9:20 AM

The nurses where right... NEVER pull back his foreskin.  The foreskin is attached to the glans at birth as a protective function and can take until puberty to naturally detach from the glans.  Trying to speed up this process is unnecessary and can actually cause damage.  Pulling back the foreskin of an intact (not circumcised) boy before it naturally retracts (even just pulling it a little bit) is like messing with a scab before it's ready to fall off on its own - it can cause pain, bleeding, infection, and scarring.  Your son should be the only one who ever retracts his foreskin.  Here are some helpful links:

American Academy of Pediatrics: Care of the Uncircumcised Penis

Protect Your Uncircumcised Son - Expert Medical Advice For Parents by Dr Paul Fleiss

Be aware that it is very common for doctors and other medical professionals in this country to not only give out dangerously wrong care instructions, but for them to forcible retract a boys foreskin.  This can happen very quickly without warning, which is why I tell any new doctor, nurse, etc before they have my sons diaper off that they are not allowed to retract my sons foreskin and that I will file assault charges against them if they even try.  Almost all problems that intact males have stem from or are a direct result of premature/forced retraction, so I get very 'Mommy Lion' about it.

jackiea84
by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM

thank you ladies for replying. thanks so much for the links they were great help!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)