Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Introduce yourself"

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2007 at 1:24 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 557 Total Views
Welcome:

My name is Zurama and I started this group, because I feel that there is not enought information outhere for kids with Low-Functioning Autism.

My son Mickie was diagnosed at 22 months and though received early intervention and has been on an ABA program since he was  31/2, has made little progress.

He has numurous  biomedical issues that I believe stem from  the vaccines he received as a baby.

Zurama
Mickiesmom
by on Nov. 5, 2007 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IdaKaye
by on Nov. 5, 2007 at 6:30 AM
I am the Gmother of a severely autistic Gsom.  He is 9, non verbal, partially potty trained.  I am hoping this group will grow and have others to bounc e off ideas with.
tammy722
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2007 at 12:15 PM
my name is tammy and i have three boys. the youngest , brady was diagnosed with autism 3 years ago. he is 7. non-verbal ,doesnt eat, still in diapers. i could keep going on and on. he has said mom once. i also believe the vaccine had something to do with the way brady is .
Carolbird
by on Nov. 13, 2007 at 12:43 AM
Hi!  I have twin boys, one of them is autistic.  He's noneverbal, still on diapers, has digestion problems, and screams a lot! very sweet most of the time though, runs into the street if no one holds his hand, and even tried to jump from a third floor and he thought it was hillarious.   They're turning 7 soon, and they are so far apart, autism has builded a wall between them.  I need all the information I can get!  And is awful but I'm glad someone knows what is like so we can support each other.
mickiesmom
by Group Owner on Nov. 14, 2007 at 1:21 PM
Hello moms:

I just wanted to welcome you to our group and tell you that I know what you are all going through. I think our kids are probably the minority in the Autism spectrum.

There is much we can do for them and together we will find resourses and information to help our children feel better.

Welcome,

Zurama
3ringcircus74
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2008 at 2:03 AM
wow!! im in tears just knowing there are a few others out there such as myself...my son is 8, NV, not potty trained, naked at home 24/7, only goes to school for 5hrs a day(but, hey hes on the bus now....YAY!!!)...we've moved from texas to florida to now north carolina...two more children were born in the middle of the these moves and my son has had some serious changes to deal with...we are just now getting stable again...the boys in his class are verbal and potty trained and i feel desperate some days....im soooo glad to have found you...i hope to learn and share as much as i can!!

vaccines: not sure they were his cause but, i definitely feel that my son had a negative reaction to them and regressed after receiving them....we havent had any since dx at 18mos old

wow, im seriously sooo excited!!! thank you so much for this group!!!

So simple, its just me!

Like it or lump it!

It's been real, thanks!

ilovematteo170
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2008 at 3:01 PM
Hi Ladies,
My name is Tracy and a sahm mom to 5 great kids, married to Sal for 12 years.  My son Matteo is 4 and was dx with autism at 2 1/2. He is pretty much non verbal but does alot of echolilia(sp. sorry). He is not potty trained and is no where near ready. He goes to an AI program 5 days a week a full day 9-4. He loves school and riding the bus! 

I look forward to meeting you and sharing ideas.  Thank you for starting this group!

Hugs
~Tracy
Mom to Gabriella,Sal,Rocco,Matteo, and Guliana. Loving wife to Sal
mango2
by on Jan. 31, 2008 at 5:21 PM
Hi. My name is Judy. My son is 19 and is non-verbal. He also has Bipolar Disorder. He currently attends high school and is in the self contained autism class there. He can attend there until he is 22. I live in Florida with my husband and son. I also am a part time hair stylist. I'm glad to find a group that is for the more severe end of  the autism spectrum.

Judy
tiredmom07
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2008 at 9:03 PM
Hi, Nice to meet everyone. My name is lindsay and I as a step mom to 2 buys mykal and stefan and have to kids with my husband Ethan and Lila. Our 3 year old Ethan has Autism. He is very hyper, non verbal can make some animal sounds but only we know what they are. He is potty trained if he is naked, so he is usally naked all day until somebody comes over. He is aggressive and self dangerous so i try at all times to keep him safe. He feels little pain so hights, knives and flames have to be watched close.
We love him very much and look forward to speeking with you.
Tiredmom07
4mysunshineboy
by on Feb. 15, 2008 at 1:39 AM
Hi!! I'm so glad to find this place!! I JUST left another autism board because of posts about there not needing to be a cure.  God, I wish my son was so high-functioning that I could reject a cure or not advocate for one!!  That was it for me!

My son is 9 years old.  He finally completely potty-trained at age 8. He eats fine, but is very picky to the point of worrying us sometimes.  He isn't completely nonverbal but has learned to speak in PECS format.  He says basically "I want dwink, pwease" or "I want movie, pwease"....stuff like that.  He will use whatever he knows to try to tell you things and you have to figure out what he means.  At school they are trying out different augmentative communication devices for him.  He doesn't seem to be learning any more speech, no matter how hard we try.  Its like he's hit some sort of plateau.

He had chronic constipation for years because of sensory issues, but we SEEM to be past that now (for at least 6 months now...I'm hoping this is a trend).  He stims by tapping things on his cheekbones and because of this he has two red marks on his face.  We are constantly trying to get him to stop. 

There's tons more I could tell you, but anyway.....he was diagnosed severely autistic and severely mentally retarded by Mayo Clinic.  We don't think its as severe as they do, especially the retardation, but either way we love our son.  We just want desperately for him to be independent.  None of the experts are hopeful at all.  His lack of speech and his high frustration/anger/anxiety are his biggest problems. 

I worry so much for his future. 
Carey3
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2008 at 10:41 AM
I joined this group a while ago but never introduced myself. My name is Carey and I have three children 13, 10, and 6. My youngest Victoria was born at 26 weeks and due to a very long story which involved many medical mistakes she is blind and has mild CP. When she was two we got Autism to add to her chart. The Autism is her greatest challenge. She use to talk and sing and eat but now she is almost 100% non verbal. Now she is also almost 100% tube feed. Victoria does nothing for her self. She is in diapers, can not dress her self, needs help walking etc. She can be a very sweet girl one minuet then the next hit or scratch or try to harm herself. I hate Autism. I do want a cure. I too worry about her future. I live in rural Maine and there's not a lot of options when it comes to help or experience. Right now I am in the search for a doc that maybe able to help with the diet thing. I joined this group because I often feel alone in all this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)