The Defeat Autism Now! Philosophy: Autism and related problems are the symptoms of dysfunction of the neural, immune and/or digestive systems which occur in individuals genetically sensitive to such factors as sub-optimal nutrition, food intolerances, microbial overgrowth and toxins. Appropriate treatment entails identifying and alleviating the problems causing the symptoms in that individual, rather than merely attempting to suppress the symptoms through the use of psychoactive drugs.
While we believe that a variety of educational and sensory integration methods are important therapies for autistic children, our primary interest and expertise is in the biomedical aspects of treatment, which is based on the following considerations:
- An epidemic of autism is currently taking place in North America and many other parts of the developed world.
- Diagnostic and treatment options should be consistent with an evolving picture of the environmental causes of the epidemic.
- Each child is different and his or her lab testing and responses to treatment should be the guides to clinical intervention.
- Parents are both the source and the recipients of much of our knowledge concerning effective treatments. They should be embraced by clinicians as full participants in the search for answers for their child. Defeat Autism Now! practitioners make every effort to create an environment in which ongoing clinical detective work takes place in an atmosphere of an intelligent dialogue between parents and professionals. Such a dialogue should include the child, who may be listening, even when he or she appears inattentive.
- Nutritional deficiencies and special needs -- these concern primarily Vitamins B6, B12, A and magnesium, calcium, selenium, zinc, and omega 3 fatty acids.
- Gut dysfunction due to multiple factors, including suboptimal nutrition, infections, antibiotics and NSAIDs.
- Microbial overgrowth including viral infections in susceptible children after a) certain vaccines, b) intestinal parasites, and c) bacterial and yeast overgrowths in the gut.
- Toxins, such as PCB's, and particularly heavy metals, such as mercury from environmental sources and certain childhood vaccines.
- Food intolerance, including intolerance of gluten and casein (found in grains and dairy), immunoglobulin-mediated food allergy (not always evident on skin-testing), intolerance of so-called Feingold foods and additives (phenolic compounds), and excitotoxins (certain flavor enhancers from the MSG family).
- Abnormalities in detox chemistry and immune function
- Benefits from secretin, intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG), transfer factor, colostrum, and special digestive enzymes in many individuals with autistic symptoms
This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.