Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help....

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2008 at 7:02 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 170 Total Views
...I don't know what to think or which way to go with this.  My daughter is attending summer school, same school, same class, same aide for the last two years only for summer she has a new teacher.

Today when I came to pick up my daughter the teacher made a point to come out in to the hallway with my daughter who was almost in tears and had her fingers in her ears.  Her teacher went on to tell me that my daughter (5yrs. old) is too big to be putting her finger in her ears.  She went on to ask me if she has some sort of favorite toy or something from home I could send her so she could redirect her when she does this.  I did explain to her that my daughter has sensory issues and that loud noises or alot of people bother her and she will do this.  She will also do this if she is upset or does not like something.  She has a difficult time with transitions, understanding and accepting change.  The teacher just said well she did this most of the day even if the class was not noisy so can you think of something she might bring with her.  Huh? I don't get this, can someone please explain to me?  The new teacher is kind of young and I do not know what if any experience she has had with kids with special needs.  This may be her learning process.  Do I go to the school Administrator and question this or is this normal should I just leave it alone?

The other thing that really upset me today was while I was talking to the teacher I bent to console my sobbing child only to feel that she had (no exaggeration) about a pound of pee in her pull up.  Mind you she may have just gone but apparently it leaked through and there were dry pee stains on the back of her shorts.  I asked the teacher if I could re-enter the classroom letting her know how wet she was unfortunately my daughter took off down the hall running.  Should I even bother with this because it seems as though it would be my word against there's?

This entire week has been so trying and stressful - I just wonder what tomorrow has in store for us!

Missy   

by on Jul. 10, 2008 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
JackieMo
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2008 at 9:23 AM
You say she has the same aide that she has had for the last two years - could this person be an ally for you and back up what you say your child needs? 

Sounds like the teacher needs an education on handling special needs kids.  She is expecting her to act her chronological age rather than her developmental age. 

If this school has accepted your child for the past two years, there is a precedence of history here that should be on your side.  I wouldn't let it go - you need to be in their faces constantly, but even more so now to get that teacher up to speed.

I hope you are in contact with some local moms in your area who might be able to offer you advice on your resources and options closer to home.  Autism moms are a tough group and can offer a lot of help.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)