Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Major Meltdowns - How do you handle?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2008 at 9:53 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 201 Total Views

My son is ten and moderately autistic (non-verbal but understands most of what is said and behaviors are mild for the most part).  Last year was his first year in public school and overall went very well.  Over memorial weekend last year his aide was involved in a terrible accident and ended up not returning to school for the last two weeks.  Things went VERY well up to the second to last day of school.  On that day I was informed that my son had not one but two major meltdowns. (one was 5 mins the other 20 mins)  His special education teacher brought him out to me that day and told me all about the course of events.  She had a long reason of possible causes for his meltdowns and any of them really could have been the reason.  I honestly don't care!  What bothers me the most is that they basically did NOTHING!  She says to me that they knew I didn't like them using the basket hold (a type of physical restraint) and that they didn't know what else to do.  My husband and I had just been in not even a week before and told them to do what they needed to do if the situation arose.  She than went on to tell me how they aren't allowed to use this basket hold anymore but they received training in a modified basket hold.  They were trained - but not will to try!!  When these meltdowns occurred there were at least three people with years of experience in the room and they did NOTHING!!  His main special ed teacher has been teaching for over 20 yrs!   His hand that day was so bruised I first thought he'd broken it.  We start school next week and his aide will be with him but she will be in a wheelchair for part of the time (she ended up losing part of her leg).  I'm not really concerned about the wheelchair because he has a real bond with her.  However, it will be something different.  My biggest concern is this special ed teacher will be there again.  I would really appreciate any input on how you(your school) handle severe meltdowns.  At home we do not have a real problem with meltdowns.  Not even a five minute meltdown happens a home (let alone 20 mins) and they tell me the things we do at home won't work at school for stopping or preventing meltdowns.  Thanks - Lisa

by on Aug. 15, 2008 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
mickiesmom
by Group Owner on Aug. 16, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Have you ruled out digestive distress or pain. If he is on a special diet, could he be eating the foods that can cause him pain? My Mickie will have meltdowns and head banging episodes within minutes, to hours to days after a food infraction.

Zurama

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)