Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grand grandparents

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 556 Total Views

Did you ever meet your grandparents? Do you have one special memory that you treasure?

My maternal grandma was quite a gal, but as she aged she developed diabetes. We went to live with her so my mother could care for her and my grandfather. I remember her sitting at the top of the front steps and my mother and aunty combing her hair. The hair was a beautiful white, long and lovely. The picture has stayed with me for more than fifty years.

by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nanalyn1
by lyn on Jan. 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM

knew both grandmothers and my Pop Pop (dad's father) both grandmothers died after I had my 1st DD..grandfather when I was just out of school...I have many good memories

mapleleafwoman
by Maple on Jan. 6, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I remember my maternal grandparents quite well.  We would take the train out to visit them every summer.  My grandfather died when I was six.  I remember we used to dig in their big deep couch and find coins that would fall out of people's pockets.  And I remember one day my grandfather giving me enough money to go to the drug store and buy myself a pair of slippers.

I remember my grandmother was always up before sunrise and would have the table set for a farm breakfast, a half grapefruit sliced in front of every plate.

When I was about twelve maybe, my grandmother came to live with us for a year to give my aunt a break.  My grandmother had hardening of the arteries and her short term memory was not good.  My brother was a fast eater and every day as we finished up dinner, my grandmother would ask if my brother was coming to eat.  Of course, he had eaten and left the table.  And every day as I walked out the door to school, I was reminded that "in my day we ALWAYS wore our dresses below our knees."

I never knew either of my paternal grandparents.  My grandfather was apparently killed one winter when the horses and buggy went off into the ditch as they were turning into the driveway.  And I believe I remember hearing stories that my grandmother was killed in an accident in town.  That is about all I know about them.

sandy562
by Fabulous Sandy on Jan. 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I remember - my grandmother - - Little Granny was the very best

this is my grandmother and my Mom - Me - and my first son John

this is my Dads Mom - I don't think she every took off those dark glasses - but she was a very sweet lady - that is my uncle Bob - he always was fishing - grandma hated cleaning fish -

simple smileSandy562

mapleleafwoman
by Maple on Jan. 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM

You have some neat old pictures Sandy.  Love them.

mapleleafwoman
by Maple on Jan. 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM

When I first met my ex I was so excited because I went from having no grandparents to having three grandmothers.  There was Grandmom N, Grandmom J and Grandmom D (actually brother-in-law's grandma).  They were all so special.  My daughter was named after Grandmom N.  and my son was sort of named after Grandfather N so two generations later we officially had a John and Sarah N again, although these were brother and sister rather than husband and wife.  Didn't realize what we had done until later.  John was a name passed down through the generations.  My son was at least the fourth except that middle names were changed.

Annehart
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I remember my grandmother always had a million stories to tell, and the time to tell them to us! I'm getting the chance to be a gramdma now, and I want to know how to be a good one! How did your grandmas communicate love to you? What are your best memories of your grandma?

Scottishbrat33
by Fabulous Trainee on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:21 AM

My grandmother from Ireland came to America when she was  20 years old.She went through Elis Island in New York.She use to tell my friend and I stories about Ireland and legends about the Band shee of Ireland scarey but fun to listen to.My mother's mom my grandmother was my God Mother.Every Easter she would take me shopping for a new outfit.I miss them both.

mapleleafwoman
by Maple on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Quoting Annehart:

I remember my grandmother always had a million stories to tell, and the time to tell them to us! I'm getting the chance to be a gramdma now, and I want to know how to be a good one! How did your grandmas communicate love to you? What are your best memories of your grandma?

My father's parents I never knew.  My mother's parents lived far from us so we only seen them once a year usually.  Herfather died when I was six and although Grandma lived longer and actually lived with us for a year, it was when her health was failing.  My grandmother was a very astute, hard working lady.  I always remember loving her but nothing special, no special times between her and me.  I remember my grandfather being more relaxed.

teaching1972
by Debbie on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I remember both sets of my grandparents.  My dad's family was large, 11 brothers and sisters, so you can imagine how many cousins I had.  My mom's side of the family was small and I came along later and was the last grandchild.  We lived right next door to Mom's family.  My sister was starting college when I started kindergarten.  In order to help her go to school, my mom got a job.  I spent my afternoons with her grandparents.  I especially remember the days we went to Ladies Aid at church.  All the women brought food and they shared a meal then they set up a big quilting frame.  They quilted the rest of the afternoon.  I took my dolls and played under the quilt.  It made a wonderful playhouse for a child with a vivid imagination like mine.

cjcharlie1959
by Competent Carol on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I remember 4th of July family get togethers at my grandparents house.  All my cousins there and I also remember my great-aunt Nell.  I loved my grandmother (Eti) because she taught me to play the piano and appreciate music.  My grandfather lost his ring finger in a plant accident and he use to wiggle his stump to make it look like it was dancing. She use to can and my grandfather had a small garden and taught us about planting. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)