Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What month do they celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 518 Total Views

Poll

Question: What month do they celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada?

Options:

November

October

December

January

They don't celebrate it.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sandy562
by Fabulous Sandy on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I know they don't celebrate it in Sweden - unless you have a American in the family

mapleleafwoman
by Maple on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

But, yes Sandy, Canada does celebrate it.  Just keep in mind that most of the country is further north so our harvest comes in a little sooner.  Canadian Thanksgiving coincides with Columbus Day in the U.S. 

Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day (Canadian French: Jour de l'Action de grĂ¢ce), occurring on the second Monday in October, is an annual Canadian holiday to give thanks at the close of the harvest season.

mammadonna
by Donna on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Living just across the Canadian border we are acquainted with your customs. I didn't have to guess at this one...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by Fabulous Trainee on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Their Thanksgiving is the day we usually celebrate Columbus Day here in the U.S.   They also Celebrate "Boxing Day the day after Christmas

CoeyG
by Fabulous Trainee on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Not all countries celebrate Halloween the way we observe it here in the U.S. either.

Scottishbrat33
by Fabulous Trainee on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I believe they celebrate Thanksgiving sometime in October. Very nice picture mapleleafwoman.The items look good enough to eat.cornucopia

mapleleafwoman
by Maple on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I can't get used to Thanksgiving being so late in the year.  Seems all your holidays roll together.  It is so much nicer being in October.  First of all, there is a better chance of good weather for the weekend.   (Okay so it usually rains on Brigden Fair)  Secondly, you get through Thanksgiving, gear up for Halloween, and then once all that is over, you can start thinking about Christmas without feeling guilty.   And you have two whole months left to shop and do all that other good stuff like baking cookies and cakes and such.

Scottishbrat33
by Fabulous Trainee on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:05 AM

When my childern were little my husband and I went on a trip to Vermont in October.The traffic was terrible.People every where we asked somebody why there were so many people.They told us people were celebrating Thanksgiving in Canada.We were an hour from Canada.cornucopia

mapleleafwoman
by Maple on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I tried to make a trip up yhat way a couple years ago. Couldn't find a motel room in three or four states. Ended up driving all the way home. People go up there in the fall to see the changing colours of leaves on the trees.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)