Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some new ideas!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:43 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 233 Total Views

I have a blog where I write about ways moms can save money or get thing for free, specifically name-brand things. I have written posts about diapers, formula, mommy stuff (like chocolate and bath and body stuff), education, sweepstakes, and... well... I'm fresh out of ideas! Do you have an idea you think I should write about? (I pride myself on the quality of writing of my posts, not just the resources.) Or do you have a freebie you think I should feature? I've checked out the freebies here in search of inspiration, but I've got some serious writer's block! Help!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
KClark-Huey
by Member on Oct. 13, 2009 at 10:49 AM

One of my favorite tips to get things inexpensively/free/or sometimes I get paid to take the stuff out of the store is the computer scanning error law.  If an item is marked a cheaper price than it scans (AND YOU PAY THE HIGHER PRICE AT THE REGISTER) then the store must pay you ten times the difference up to $5.00.  The key to this is, you can't "notice" that the store charged you too much until you have left the store.  Several years ago, one of my good friends was going to have a baby.  I new I needed to have a nice gift for the arrival of the baby.  Unfortunately, I really didn't have a lot of money.  So, I started going to every department store around and looking through every single item in their baby departments.  I would look for a item (typically toward the back) that the store missed when marking the price of that item up higher and I would purchase it.  I would leave the store, go to my car and then I would realize that they overcharged me.  I would go back into the store, go to the customer service desk and say, "this is a computer scan error" *another key, at many stores you must tell them this because they don't all just voluntarily give you the ten times the difference plus the difference between what you paid and what the item scanned at.  If you don't say it, they sometimes just try to give you the difference between what you paid and what the ticket says.*  I would then get the cost difference and ten times the difference up to $5.00.  I kept an envelope that I put any extra money (i.e. if I paid $2.00 for something but got $5.00 back I would put $3.00 in the envelope.) into.  I then used that money for good clearance sale stuff.  For example, I found a nice big diaper bag on a good clearance sale and used that money to purchase it.  I then individually wrapped each smaller item *diaper rash cream, baby toys, bottles, wipes, blankets, pacifiers, etc.* in various pastel colors of tissue paper (I got a big pack at Dollar Tree.) and stuffed the diaper bag with all of my winnings.  (I call it winnings because they call the extra cash a "reward" for catching them in a mis-pricing error.)  I kept a running total journal of everything I got and the costs.  I complete stuffed that diaper bag and my total cost out of pocket (extra money that I didn't have in the envelope cause I ran out and still purchased the tissue paper, curling ribbon and scotch tape at the Dollar Tree.) was $3.18.  Full retail value, there was over $100.00 worth of merchandise between the diaper bag and everything stuffed in it.

RebeccaAxeRosa
by Member on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Wow! I have never heard of this before. Do I need some kind of proof of store policy to get this? Does it work at all stores?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)