Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craziest Thing You Do to Save?

Posted by   + Show Post

The Craziest Thing You Do to Save?

Okay, fess up. What's the craziest thing that you do to save money? You know . . . that one thing that makes people look at you funny, or that you're too embarrassed to do in front of others.

Come on... you can tell us!!

This is an old post, but I thought that it was relevant again!  We can always learn from each other new things!

Joyce

Save $10 on $49+ Order at Diapers.com Code DEALSCM01

by on Sep. 10, 2008 at 2:24 PM
Replies (231-238):
DariaDamnit
by on Oct. 26, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Quoting mum2-2lads:

Hey Luckymom07.

You mention unplugging unused plugs.  How much do you think you save per month.  Just did a walk through and we have so many things plugged in.  Would powerstrips make sense?  An easy flick of the switch on some stuff?  I realize those would add up fast too.  But a few of the main outlets used.

Thanks!

My electricity bill was $35 dollars this month. I live in a 2-bedroom apartment. However, my neighbor had a $100+ bill.
I contribute my savings to doing as follows:
* Using a powerstrip for my television, DVD player, VCR, and gaming console. I switch the strip to the "OFF" position after I lay my daughter down for bed because I don't watch t.v. Also, I try to limit my daughters' television intake. In which case, the switch gets flipped.
* I unplug my microwave and my coffeemaker every night. Sometimes my microwave doesn't get plugged in for a few days because I cook portioned meals since it's just my daughters and me.
* Mostly every day, but especially sunny days, I open window shades and keep lamps, ceiling lights, etc off until I absolutely need a light. Also, if there's nothing going on in a particular room, the light stays off. I, however, will stubbornly navigate my way through the apt in the dark to avoid turning on a light for a few seconds.
* I keep my thermostat set to 75 on both cooling and heating. You'd be surprised how much keeping it set to a constant temperature helps. If it feels nice out, I open my front door to let air through the storm door window and open a window in the back of the apt. for a cross-draft.
* This may seem silly, but since I own a laptop, I unplug it from the wall and use it until I have 10% battery left. I figure that's 2.5 hours I'm saving, which is better than nothing.

sassymomntx1961
by Group Admin on Oct. 26, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I need to do the unplugging things again.I got away for awhile.I think I will go check when my mo. starts and see what I can save this next few mo. w/ Christmas coming in 2 mo.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

halogirl940
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:51 AM

what a nightmare to end up on the front page but I have to thank you for the best laugh I've had in awhile,lol. I am a very visual person and can just imagine a pic of your shoes sticking up from inside a dumpster. I am so kidding but truely a great story!

I myself have found some new to nearly new things outside a dumpster that after a careful inspection were set there just for me from the Good LORD. It happened to be exactly down to the color of what I had been praying for.

As for food, I helped open up a supercenter(big box name) in my town and when our bakery goods' shelf life went out, instead of donating to shelters or Salvation Army we had to incinerate them in our in house incinerator! I was disheartened to find out it was due to insurance purposes..very sad.

Blessings to you all

lat2herb
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM

when you unplug everything does that make a drastic drop in your light bill

sassymomntx1961
by Group Admin on Apr. 2, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Yes because if its plugged in and ready to use its using elec. to be ready for you.Try it for a mo and see if it makes a diff.I would call your elec provider to see if you can get a better rate then you have now or check other co. to see if its worth switching.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

couponluv72
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:49 AM

i think cleaning out and reusing ziploc baggies when i have literally hundreds stockpiled is the craziest thing I do

sassymomntx1961
by Group Admin on May. 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM

If you know ppl that stay at a hotel from time to time ask them to grab the soap,shampoo/conditioner when they leave the hotel and save for you.Then when you dont have the spare money or can get it cheap enough at the store use the hotel size till you do.

avasmommee
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I shop @ the Goodwill first for many of my items before I will go to a department store. I've bought all of our DVD players, many lamps, books, a camera-you name it! I also buy perfume samples, which I make last a long time, because I will buy 5-6 at a time, in different brands. This way, I'm trying new perfumes, without the full price of a big bottle. Oh, btw, I bought an awesome nightstand and a Disney toy storage set @ Goodwill this weekend-all for $18!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)