Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craziest Thing You Do to Save?

Posted by   + Show Post

The Craziest Thing You Do to Save?

Okay, fess up. What's the craziest thing that you do to save money? You know . . . that one thing that makes people look at you funny, or that you're too embarrassed to do in front of others.

Come on... you can tell us!!

This is an old post, but I thought that it was relevant again!  We can always learn from each other new things!

Joyce

Save $10 on $49+ Order at Diapers.com Code DEALSCM01

by on Sep. 10, 2008 at 2:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
cox68
by Member on Sep. 12, 2008 at 8:06 AM

My husband is a delivery driver for restaurants so they always give him free food ,So i ask him to get Mexican wrapsso they put the stuff on the side so i can keep those nice container's they are sturdy i reuse them all the time.Or when Walmart  used to have those cotton candy containers for a buck everyone would win.I'ma freak on containers.They are good for picnic's family get together you don't have to worry about leaving them or getting your containers back.

texmexmom
by Member on Sep. 12, 2008 at 8:18 AM

I do ALOT of these things too!!lol BUt I have a suggestion for you gals that reuse sandwich bags. I have purchased a few "sandwich" containers and one is usually in the dishwasher and Dh and dd usually have one in their lunches! we also have "chip" containers. this cuts down on ALOT of sandwich bags!!

LisaM1022
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Okay, when my ex-husband was unemployed for a period of time and couldn't seem to spend money fast enough and always had to have the "best" of everything, I used to buy store brands and fill up the containers of "the" brand things.  Of course, that was before I realized that on most things, I could get the brands I liked for less than the store brands if I shopped hard enough!

bigmamatrevino
by Member on Sep. 12, 2008 at 9:33 AM

No one said recycling cans yet, I forgot that I do that!

letsparty
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Hi Ladies,

I have been going 'green' as much as possible which is saving a lot of money. I have started to grow my own veggies (I bought a portable  green house for $90 and it's paid for itself in 6 months). I bought my seeds on clearance. To start the seeds, I make plant holders out of shredded newspaper and my pots are usually plastic containers (i.e laundry soap bottles that I cut the tops off of). I usually buy the Sunday paper so that I get the store ads and coupons, and save money that way as well. By doing this , I save all the way around and get great tasting veggies, too.

KeyWestWife
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2008 at 10:17 AM

I  shake the gas pump too

I use 3/4 packet of sweet n low (because I don't like a whole pack) and save the rest for another day

My DH takes sweet n low when he goes to wendys (just a few though)

I turn all of our electronic stuff off at night

If we go away for the weekend I turn our water heater off

I hang clothes out to dry

I bake more in the winter to help heat the house!

I clip coupons and go to www.gottadeal.com for great ideas!

I let it mellow in the toilet to save on water

We use cloth diapers

My DH takes his batteries and phone to work to charge them!

I do surveys for extra money and prizes

We reuse towels

There are a lot more but I need to go shower!

quadsquad
by Member on Sep. 12, 2008 at 10:47 AM

My husband on several occasions has accidentally thrown out my coupon(s).  I WILL did through the trash for it if it is a good one.

I use my cc points to buy gift for birthdays and Christmas.  It saves my at least $150 each year.

petiesmom
by Member on Sep. 12, 2008 at 4:32 PM

I reuse bags, jars, get extra ketchup, mayo, splenda whatever at restaurants.  I can't believe I did this.  I went to a drive threw and as I was leave the drive threw I went to drive up to a trash can to throw out trash and there right on top were 3 empty soda can that could be refunded for 5 cents each so I looked to my right to my left and I snagged the cans.  Pretty cheap huh. 

threebrats
by Member on Sep. 12, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Quoting petiesmom:

I reuse bags, jars, get extra ketchup, mayo, splenda whatever at restaurants.  I can't believe I did this.  I went to a drive threw and as I was leave the drive threw I went to drive up to a trash can to throw out trash and there right on top were 3 empty soda can that could be refunded for 5 cents each so I looked to my right to my left and I snagged the cans.  Pretty cheap huh. 

For Earth Day this year my son had to raise $ to help the animals. So to help him understand Earth Day a little more when we would take our walks he would collect the bottles and cans that we can across. Then when we got home, I would give him a nickle for everyone he found for his fund raiser box. He collected about $2, which isnt alot of $, but he learned a good lesson.

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Sep. 12, 2008 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

You've covered most of my tricks...I learned form the best...my mom!  Here are a few more:

I NEVER order a drink when I go to a real restaurant.  I can't see paying $2 for a drink...water with lemon works fine for me.

If we do fast food...again ICE WATER (free) and only the value menu.  I share fries with my son.  We rarely buy him the kid's meal.  It's less expensive to buy the "value" chicken sandwich and cut it up into "nuggets" for him.  Max and I will go with friends to Mc Ds and I'll pay $3 (chicken sando, double cheese, fries and free water)  for our lunch and she's paying over $10 for hers...

Shopping on line...I always look for a coupon before I check out.  It's rare that I don't get free shipping or 5-20% off on an order.  Just search "_____ coupon" and expired ones work about 1/3 of the time.

If I think of more, I'll post again.  Happy saving!

Oh...one more thing.  We've been debt free since 1999.  When you don't owe ANY money, you think long and hard before making a purchase that will put you into debt.  Try changing your mindset!  GOOD LUCK!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)