Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

yogart maker

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:42 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 911 Total Views

In previous posts it has been mentioned that to save money alot of moms make their own yogart-sp anyways does it matter what kind i get is any brand better at it than others.. I would love input on yogart makers we spend probally $10 a week on yogart at the store and for that price i can make it at home better for less.. thank you ladies

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Justeen62
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Bump!

I'm curious too.

Justine

myan
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Bump

Me three

Elaine aka myan

Blewbubble
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:11 AM

anybody?

groovypansy
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING....MY DAUGHTER IS 3 YEARS OLD, AND SHE HAS ALWAYS HAD SUCH A PROBLEM WITH UTI'S.....SO SHE HAS CRANBERRY PILLS EVERY DAY AND ALSO 1-2 YOGURTS A DAY.....AND OF COURSE, SINCE SHE HAS A YOGURT EVERY DAY, THEN MY SON WANTS ONE ALSO.  SO NEEDLESS TO SAY, WE GO THROUGH A LOT OF YOGURT IN A WEEK.  PLEASE FILL ME IN ON THE INFO OF THIS YOGURT MACHINE THING.  THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

jenettyshome
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I am interested in this info, too since we use lots of yogurt for my daughter's protein smoothies. 

SAHM of four great kids - 13, 12, 6, and 4! 
My Website  Bonanzle Anyone?
"I am from God. I am part of God, and God is part of me. Therefore I cannot be diminished.  I am strong. I am loved and I am loving, because I am living this and every day in accordance with God's great plan."

Bubblegranny
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM

In the 70's we used to always make our own yogurt.  You can get the renna from a cheese factory or a health food store.  Check out William and Sonoma for yogurt makers and how they work.

We used to just make it on the stove and then put it in our own jars.  Great for making pancakes too.

Just a side note (20yrs I thought I had a UTI and found out my body fakes the tests by producing too much acid.  So if the antibodic does not work and another has to be done then perhaps a uroligist for the protein test is required.  I used to eat a lot of yogurt to combat, but the yogurt and cranberrys were making more acid. Now the only fruit I eat is blueberries and pears.  Thank a woman dr. from russian who discovered what I really had.)

Blessings,

New Granny its a boy

MarisaMay
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM
My husband and I have been making our own yogurt for a couple of years, and we have never used a "yogurt maker." We like to start with DanActive or one of the yogurts that has extra cultures in it. There are lots of different ways to do it, too. Here is the recipe we started with: 1 c. dry milk powder 3 c. warm water 1/2 can evaporated milk (about 6 oz.) 2-3 T. yogurt Heat oven to 275 degrees. Blend ingredients together in a blender. Put mixture into a stainless steel bowl and wrap up the bowl in a large towel (use one you don't care about as it sometimes gets singed.) Put it into the oven and turn off the heat. Leave for about 8 hours. If it is not completely set up after that, reheat the oven and do it again (but don't put the yogurt in while the oven is reheating.) The taste is different from store-bought (no sugar!) but it really is good. We like to mix ours with our home-made jam to make it fruit-flavored. And by the way, the recipe really is flexible-- you just have to find what works for you. We have also used glass quart jars to make it and had them wrapped up on top of the stove when the oven was on to cook something else. You can put a couple of Tablespoons of the yogurt in the freezer to make your next batch with, and that way you never have to buy yogurt again! The best part for us is not having any of those non-recycleable plastic containers to throw away! Good luck!
ezahnsmama
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:22 PM

this is how we make organic yogurt.

You will need:

one quart organic milk

two -three tablespoons organic plain yogurt

Soup pot

mason jar(s) and lid

towel and cooler

so, you put one quart milk in a pot on med/low(you don't want to burn it) and keep stirring,  let it get bubbley/foamy on top(not boil)

turn it off and take from heat,stir in yogurt, two-three tablespoons of plain yogurt per quart of milk, let it cool down/just to warm and stir

then pour into quart size mason jar and place cover and tighten

put a towel in a small cooler and put jar inside and wrap blanket around it, close cooler lid and let is sit for about eight hours and then it's done - refrigerate

it make very good and creamy yogurt

if your home is very warm you can just wrap jar with a towel and leave out on your counter top.

i didn't like plain yogurt before, i love this one though!!  you can add fruit or honey as you eat it.

enjoy!!

Deb_Jones
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Just wondering if you used bubble bath with your daughter? My daughter is 27 and still can't use it.

Quoting groovypansy:

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING....MY DAUGHTER IS 3 YEARS OLD, AND SHE HAS ALWAYS HAD SUCH A PROBLEM WITH UTI'S.....SO SHE HAS CRANBERRY PILLS EVERY DAY AND ALSO 1-2 YOGURTS A DAY.....AND OF COURSE, SINCE SHE HAS A YOGURT EVERY DAY, THEN MY SON WANTS ONE ALSO.  SO NEEDLESS TO SAY, WE GO THROUGH A LOT OF YOGURT IN A WEEK.  PLEASE FILL ME IN ON THE INFO OF THIS YOGURT MACHINE THING.  THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves its children." - Dietrich Bonhueffer 

katgif
by Member on Jan. 29, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I found this one for you on Amazon.com it comes with great reviews. They have others too if you would like to look at them.  Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Salton-YM9-1-Quart-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B00004SUHY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1233246471&sr=8-1

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)