Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wanted: A Mass Movement of Women "Mentors"

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:02 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 282 Total Views

Wanted: A Mass Movement of Women "Mentors"

Titus 2:3,4 --Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior...that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children.

I remember when, early in our marriage, Barbara went through periods of doubt as to how she was doing as a new wife. I would encourage her, saying, "You're doing fine, you're doing great." But I felt powerless to really affirm her.

After we moved to Dallas, Barbara began attending a Bible study for young wives led by an older woman. This seasoned mother was on a mission-she loved coaching and encouraging these young moms. Under this woman's mentoring, Barbara's confidence soared as she saw that her struggles were not unique.

There's no doubt that the early years of marriage are really important. Roles are hammered out. Adjustments made. Expectations clarified. It's no wonder the divorce rate is the highest during the first five years of marriage.

I believe we could dramatically reduce divorce if more wives and mothers experienced what Barbara did-a mentor. A mentor is a women who has been there, who has lived it, who has loved her husband faithfully (not perfectly) and has biblical values to pass on.

As Barbara says, "A husband's encouragement means a lot, but sometimes it doesn't mean as much as another woman who has been there, who has done it, who comes alongside."

A number of years ago I watched with fascination as a dozen young wives and mothers answered the question: What would you like to see your church provide for you as a wife and mother? They were very clear in their responses-they didn't want a video, a tape, a conference, another book or a radio program. They wanted a real live mom to talk to and cry with-someone they could relate to and ask questions.

So I started challenging older wives and moms to become mentors. Their response? "We don't have all the answers. We've made too many mistakes." You know what? That's exactly the qualification you need to be a mentor.

Prayer:

Ask God to give you the faith to live your life as a "living and holy sacrifice" to Him.
Discuss: In what areas do you need encouragement in your role as a wife and mother?
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Roxanne0607
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Amen

Roxanne

Angellight626
by Group Owner on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Amen!!! 

Ask God to give you the faith to live your life as a "living and holy sacrifice" to Him. hugs
Wings2Soar.biz
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Hi there!

Raising children is of the upmost importance in my life and it's a day to day, minute by minute work of love. I really don't want to get this part of my life wrong and don't want to know I wasn't there to raise them up as they should. I thought once they got older it would be easier, but found out it just comes with a different set of challenges. They are great children, but this world is constantly pulling them in on way and I'm constantly trying to keep them on course and teach them the difference. That is stuggle for many christian families - I know.

Have a great day and talk soon, Wings2Soar.biz

Angellight626
by Group Owner on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM

It sure is a challenge in this time! But we can pray and let God work out everything! You can also show them how much you love them when you have grandchildren!  Sometimes children don't realize the sacrifices one has made until they have children themselves.  They then realize what we gave up for them! Have a Blessed Day!!!hugs 

Praise2
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Amen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)