Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scratch Test for my 2 1/2 y/o, Nervous!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:40 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 422 Total Views

My son's doctor agreed to a skin allergy test, since we have done the blood test which came up with two food allergies and the rest where inconclusive though we strongly suspect there are more.  Can anyone tell me what the tests are like?  Will it be painful?  Has anyone else's children had them?  What if he has a bad reaction? the doctor  told me we would be there for 3 hours.  They are doing a whole panel (food & enviornmental) over a four week period (1 day a week for 3 hrs.)   The doctor said the test is the most accurate.  I'm glad we will finally get some reliable testing done I'm just really nervous!  Thanks!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
KYmoonbeam
by Group Owner on Dec. 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Are you going to a pediatric allergist? Does this allergist have a lot of experience with food allergies. The blood test confirms allergies that have an immediate reaction. Delayed reactions are not picked up on the blood test.

If your child has a delayed reaction to a food, make sure that you get an epi-pen. Since you've already got a pos via blood test for foods you should have an epi-pen anyway. Your child could have a reaction up to four hours or more after the test. The skin prick test is really not recommended for food allergies because of the possibility of a severe reaction. Your allergist should only test for suspected food not everything.

Each type of test has pos and neg factors. The only real way to confirm a food is by keeping a food allergy journal and eliminating the food you think is causing the problem.  No test is reliable. You have to do an elimination diet.

Take lots of treats, a portable dvd player. Have your allergist explain why it's going to take 3 hours. The test is read after 20 min. If there is a large reaction then you may have to redo the test anyway. There is a skin numbing cream you can apply about 2 hours before the test, it doesn't cost much and it really works.

Pick up a copy of Food Allergies for Dummies. It will explain everything you need to know about testing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)