Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cornbread batter

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2009 at 5:03 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 4964 Total Views

Ok, can I refrigerate cornbread batter for a later use? Will it still bake up the same??? I'm making cornbread tonight and I need to make more this weekend for a get together, our weekends are busy with the kids sports, so I'm just trying to save time.

by on Nov. 2, 2009 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mommamiaria
by Group Owner on Nov. 3, 2009 at 6:57 AM

I found this on line:

CORNBREAD IS THE MEAL OF PRINCES and paupers, or anyone who likes a hearty and semi-fast meal (fast to mix, a bit of time to bake). The dry component of the cornbread mix can be combined and stored in an airtight container until ready to use. White or yellow cornmeal work equally well. The liquid ingredients can be added right before popping in the oven or the microwave. Cornbread is a light labor task. Cornbread batter should be mixed only until all the ingredients are combined. There may be some lumps, but that's okay. Overmixed cornbread can be dry.

To prepare and store the dry cornbread mix, you'll need a measuring cup, measuring spoons, and airtight containers. To prepare the mixes in the following four recipes, you have two options:

* Combine all dry ingredients and store in an airtight container. Have liquid ingredients on hand to add in at a later date.

* Combine all ingredients (wet and dry) and refrigerate for up to three days before baking.

The secret to a crusty cornbread is the cornmeal and the baking dish. For a crispy, crackly-crusted cornbread, you'll need fresh cornmeal and a cast-iron skillet that can be put in the oven (no rubber or plastic handles). You can get good results with glass or metal oven dishes or muffin tins. The longer the length of the pan, the less baking time and the more crust you'll have. The recipes in this article can be baked in an 8" square or 9" x 13" glass or metal oven dish. You may also use tins that make 6 standard size muffins or 12 mini-muffins.

To save time, bake two batches at once, freezing one (cut into individual portions) for later use. Allow cornbread to cool prior to freezing. To reheat, don't thaw cornbread. Wrap in foil or place in a covered oven-proof dish and heat at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes.

mommamiaria
by Group Owner on Nov. 3, 2009 at 7:00 AM

I am wondering if it might be better to prepare/cook the cornbread and freeze it ahead. Then thaw and heat when need. Perhaps someone in the group has some experience with this. I have done this with pumpkin bread.

elasmimi
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I don't know about refrigerating overnight, but I found out (accidentally) if I let the batter sit for 30-40 minutes, the texture is better, at least my family thinks so. If you have time, try it with one batch and see how it works. I always use my family for guinea pigs before I try a new recipe for company.

CafeMom Tickers
FaBi7304
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Thanks! I decided to bite the bullet and bake 2 batches, freezing the 2nd batch. I'm going go ahead and wrap it in foil to warm it up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)