Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Veggie Burgers

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 201 Total Views

Does anyone know how to make these? I like the morning star or boca burger ones but at 3 dollars for a box of four and a husband who can down alot they are not cost effective. I tried looking on line but the variations are so vast and some of them seem so complicated. I thought I would ask on here if anyone has a simple recipie  that tastes good. Thanks

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mommamiaria
by Group Owner on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I found this on line:

Ultimate Veggie Burger Recipe

These make great do-ahead meals, and you can store shaped, ready-to-cook patties in the refrigerator for a week's worth of work lunches. Sprouted garbanzos are becoming more readily available, but if you can't find them, canned or cooked garbanzos (chickpeas) will work great. Sprouting boosts their already fantastic nutritional value even more...

2 1/2 cups sprouted garbanzo beans (chickpeas) OR canned garbanzos, drained and rinsed
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 onion, chopped
Grated zest of one large lemon
1 cup micro sprouts, chopped (try brocolli, onion, or alfalfa sprouts - optional)
1 cup toasted (whole-grain) bread crumbs
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (or clarified butter)

If you are using sprouted garbanzos, steam them until just tender, about 10 minutes. Most of you will be using canned beans, so jump right in and combine the garbanzos, eggs, and salt in a food processor. Puree until the mixture is the consistency of a very thick, slightly chunky hummus. Pour into a mixing bowl and stir in the cilantro, onion, zest, and sprouts. Add the breadcrumbs, stir, and let sit for a couple of minutes so the crumbs can absorb some of the moisture. At this point, you should have a moist mixture that you can easily form into twelve 1 1/2-inch-thick patties. I err on the moist side here, because it makes for a nicely textured burger. You can always add more bread crumbs a bit at a time to firm up the dough if need be. Conversely, a bit of water or more egg can be used to moisten the batter.

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium low, add 4 patties, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms begin to brown. Turn up the heat if there is no browning after 10 minutes. Flip the patties and cook the second side for 7 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties. Carefully cut each patty in half, insert your favorite fillings, and enjoy immediately.

Makes 12 mini burgers.

Cenchan
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I can't vouch for either of these, but they sounded good enough that I put them in my recipe file to try some day:

OMG Good Nut Burgers

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 1 cup finely ground almonds
    * 1/2 cup minced onion
    * 1 carrot, minced
    * 1/4 cup tahini (sesame-seed paste)
    * 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
    * 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
 DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven broiler. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly grease.
   2. In a medium bowl, mix together the almonds, onion, carrot, tahini, tamari sauce, and lemon juice. Form into 6 patties and place on baking sheet.
   3. Broil burgers 5 minutes, then turn and broil the other side another 5 minutes. Watch to make sure the burgers don't burn. Remove, and garnish as desired.

Nutritional Information
OMG Good Nut Burgers

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 214

* Total Fat: 17.4g
    * Cholesterol: 0mg
    * Sodium: 680mg
    * Total Carbs: 10.3g
    * Dietary Fiber: 4.4g
    * Protein: 8.3g

Black Bean Burgers

yield: Makes 4 servings

active time: 10 min

total time: 15 min
There are lots of meatless burgers in the world, but this one—earthy and satisfying without being stodgy—has Latino flair and is pantry-friendly to boot.

* 2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
    * 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    * 1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
    * 2 teaspoons ground cumin
    * 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
    * 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    * 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
    * 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 4 soft hamburger buns

* Accompaniments: sour cream; salsa; lettuce

Pulse 1 can beans in a food processor with mayonnaise, bread crumbs, cumin, oregano, and cayenne until a coarse purée forms. Transfer to a bowl and stir in cilantro and remaining can beans. Form mixture into 4 patties.

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Cook burgers until outsides are crisp and lightly browned, turning once, about 5 minutes total. Serve on buns.

Only note I have is that if the mix looks too crumbly, add an egg to firm up (or egg beaters or something).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)