Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to get kids interested in eating more fruits and veggies

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 393 Total Views

i have three boys and my two are so picky i try to get them interested in eating fruit and veggies i have gotten them in to eating corn but nothing really else and i want all of our family to start eating more healthy then we do so i am wondering how some of you get your kids interested into eating them more

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crissy1200
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:28 PM

i forgot to add the fruit i can get them to eat is grapes and watermelon  but they wont any thing else

BabyDollMama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:28 PM

BUMP!

cookingmanager
by on May. 27, 2010 at 3:14 AM

Hi Crissy, I don't know what you usually keep in your house but it's hard to compete with sweet and salty processed foods. If these aren't an option they will start to eat healthier.

Show them that you enjoy your vegetables and pretend you don't care what they eat. Cut up fruits and vegetables as a snack for in between meals, and bring them when you go out too. Don't worry too much about it, they will outgrow this eventually.

Hope these ideas help.

-Hannah

mommamiaria
by Group Owner on May. 27, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Fancy Fruit Pizza

1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 medium firm bananas, sliced
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
1/3 cup orange marmalade
1 tablespoon water

On a greased 14-in. pizza pan, press cookie dough into a 12-in. circle. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla
until smooth. Spread over crust. Toss bananas with lemon juice. Arrange the pineapple, strawberries, bananas, kiwi and oranges over cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Combine marmalade and water; drizzle over fruit.

Fruit Pizza

1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 to 3 kiwifruit, peeled and thinly sliced
1 to 2 firm bananas, sliced
1/2 cup red grape halves
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
Pinch salt

Pat cookie dough into an ungreased 14-in. pizza pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until browned; cool. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over crust. Arrange fruit on top. In a saucepan, bring the sugar, orange juice, water, lemon juice, cornstarch and salt to a boil, stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool; brush over fruit. Chill. Store in refrigerator.

Fruit Pizza Supreme

1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 cup fresh strawberries, halved
1 cup seedless red grapes
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice

Pat cookie dough onto the bottom of an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over the crust. Arrange fruit on top. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and pineapple juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
thickened. Cool; drizzle over fruit. Refrigerate until chilled.

Ultimate Fruit Pizza

1 tube (16-1/2 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
1-1/2 cups pineapple tidbits, drained
3/4 cup mandarin oranges, drained
3/4 cup green grapes, halved
3/4 cup fresh strawberries, halved
GLAZE:
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 can (5-1/2 ounces) unsweetened apple juice

Let dough stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften. Press onto an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Spread over crust. Top with pie filling; arrange the pineapple, oranges, grapes and strawberries over filling. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in apple juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool; brush over fruit. Refrigerate
for at least 1 hour before serving.

kimmykim
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:29 PM

serve casseroles like broccoli/chicken/rice.  They will most likely start eating the veggies if it's all mixed in.  Make soups with veggies in them.  Give fruit and veggies as the snacks instead of other stuff. 

I don't really have this problem.  My kids are eating bowls full of raspberries and blackberries as I type this and they just got done eatting dinner which was corn, salad, potatoes and ham.  So, my kids like to eat it.  But that's probably because they always have fruits and veggies on their plates. 

rkoloms
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM

We have a zero-tolerance policy towards pickiness. Our diet is probably 1/2 fruits and vegetables; the balance is made up mostly of whole grains and legumes (with a few eggs and a bit of cheese added in).

Here are some of my family's favorites:

Southwest Falafel

Patties
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed) (any bean, canned or 1.5 cups home cooked)
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1/4 cup finely crushed
baked tortilla chips
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
Spread - I don't use this part; I mash an avocado with salsa and fat free yogurt (Greek-style is best)
1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
2 tablespoons finely chopped
plum tomato
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 (6 inch) pita's, each cut in half crosswise - I use 4 whole wheat tortillas
To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white) stir until well combined. Form into 4 (1/2 inch thick) oval patties.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 3 min on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
To prepare spread, while patties cook, combine avocado, tomato, red onion, sour cream, lime juice, and salt. Place one patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons of spread over patty in each pita half

Sweet Potato Burritos
3 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups
canned kidney beans, drained (I use home cooked black beans; you can use any bean)
2 cups water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons
ground cumin
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons
low sodium soy sauce
4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
12 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
shredded cheese (whatever you have)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and sauté onion and garlic in until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve. NOTE: I put the cheese inside and freeze burritos wrapped in wax paper in a big zipper bag; they can be microwaved safely in the wax paper.

I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).

Pasta with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup
chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons
rice vinegar
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicy)
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
1 cup shredded carrot
Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently (this can also be done in the microwave; use a tempered glass bowl, like Pyrex, cook for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth). Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss gently

Robin in Chicago

crissy1200
by on May. 29, 2010 at 3:08 PM

thank you guys those recipes sound very good I will have to try some of them me and my fiancee just  got done writing out our monthly menu and I have put all kinds of veggies on it and then I am going to find a farmers market and get some fresh fruits and  veggies as well the fresh fruit thing i am a little worried about is keeping them from molding though that's always been a problem for me all buy fruit then it goes bad in like a couple of days and it makes me mad because I love fruit does anyone have any ideas how to keep your fresh fruit from going bad I do have a vacum sealer as well but never really use it anymore I would like to if i knew more foods that i could vacum in it

shabby.chic
by on May. 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM

These are some great ideas here!

I also try to keep my son who's 6 involved in helping me pick our fruit and veggies for the week-either by taking him to the store with me, or we'll talk about it before I go shopping. I got him to love broccoli by calling them trees. Green beans are a great finger food and can be dipped. My son even loves spinach, and I think it's because I let him help me cook it. As far as fruits, try to create a fruit salad, with the majority of what they like, but add others. Have a yougrt dipping sauce on the side. : ) I do a lot of dips with the fruits and veggies lol, it tempts the little boogers every time.

crissy1200
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 2:00 AM

when I went shopping the other day I saw some dips that sounded good all have to try that for the fruits and veggies we use ranch my oldest son hates green beans but he'll eat the other veggies my other two love green beans though so I mix up the veggies so then neither one is left out we got some fruit today and I have gotten two of the boys to love the grapes but my oldest said he didnt like them but he likes the cherries

Cenchan
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 4:22 AM

Along side of the recipes and whatnot, I'd suggest not keeping things they shouldn't have too much of in stock. If all you have are fruits and veggies on hand, eventually that's what they'll reach for.

I'm with the other mom up there with the zero tollerance on pickiness. My daughter's only 2 and she'll eat fruit until it comes out her ears, but the only veggies she'll touch are raw carrots, spinach, collared greens, turnip greens, and green beans. Other veggies I can sometimes get her to eat when it's mixed in like with stir-fries. If she's eaten all her supper and didn't touch the vegetable I 'strike a deal' with her to take at least one bite before she's allowed up. I'm good on my word and she will take the one bite. However I also save the vegetables she doesn't eat so that if she complains of being hungry, that's the only thing she gets -- take it or leave it.

I'd also suggest maybe set up a 'make your own' fruit parfait? Sometimes getting them involved with the making of what they're going to eat gives them that extra push to eat it. I'd suggest berries and bananas, berry yogurt and whipped cream (possibly granola). Just alternate between berries and yogurt and top with whipped cream.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)