Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freezable meals

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 350 Total Views
Can you guys give me good recipes that I can make ahead on the weekend and freeze for the week? Thanks!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Lizbeth2010
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I make homemade mac and cheese that I freeze in individual meals, as well as calzones and meat pies.   Calzones are basically pizza folded in half and baked.  Meat pies are the same, just use pastry dough instead of pizza dough. I bake them first then wrap and freeze.

Lizbeth2010
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Mac and Cheese:

1 lb macaroni noodles

12 oz butter
3/4 cup flour, all purpose
1 small onion, chopped roughly
3-4 springs fresh thyme
1/4 tsp peppercorns

4 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)

1 tsp salt and to taste
Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 lb medium to sharp cheddar cheese, grated
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup parmesian cheese, grated

1 cup bread crumbs
1/8 to 1/4 cup butter, melted

Heat oven to 350 deg f. Boil noodles 8 minutes, drain and set aside.  Put cheeses, salt/pepper/nutmeg into a large bowl and set aside.  Butter or grease a 9x13" baking pan. set aside.

Melt butter in large saucepan. Add flour to make a roux (cook 2 min).  Add onion, thyme and peppercorns.  Add milk and sour cream, bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.  Strain sauce into the cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Add in noodles and transfer all to baking pan.  Mix bread crumbs and butter and spread over macaroni mixture. Bake 20 - 30 minutes in oven.  Let set and cool. 

mommamiaria
by Group Owner on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I make and freeze extra spaghetti sauce and meatballs all of the time. Lasagna, Chili, Beef Stew, Chicken Soup and Meatloaf all freeze well.

mommamiaria
by Group Owner on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I found this information on line that might be very helpful:

Step 7 - Freezing Food

There are different methods for freezing food that you may use depending upon what you have cooked. 

• Freezer Bags - I purchase bags that are specifically freezer bags.  I press out as much air as possible before sealing.  I use this method primarily for meals that have a lot of liquids.  When I freeze them I put them directly on the freezer shelf until their frozen form has been established.  I can then stack them on top of one another without worrying about them freezing together.   

• Foil and Plastic Wrap - Do not use this method until your foods have cooled down! 

I use this method of freezing when I am freezing things such as meatloaf or lasagna.  It is for items that use a particular pan and need to keep a particular shape.  To use this freezer method you must begin by lining a pan first with foil .  Then put a layer of plastic wrap on top of the foil.  Make sure that you use enough wrap to cover the entire dish.  Put the food item into the dish and seal all the foil and wrap securely.  You don't want to allow any air to get to the food.  Place the food, in the dish, into the freezer.  Leave it in there for a couple of hours or until the food is frozen enough to hold the shape of the dish.  Remove the dish from your freezer and leave the food in the freezer.  Now when you are ready to cook you can thaw the food slightly, remove the foil and plastic wrap and place in the baking dish to finish thawing.  This is a great method because you don't tie up all your baking dishes in the freezer and your food fits perfectly into the baking dish when it is time to cook!

• Vacuum Sealer

Label all the food that you put in the freezer.  I use post it notes (with extra tape) on the outside of each item or a Sharpie  pen.  I write what the meal is and the cooking instructions.  That way on serving day I don't have to go back through my recipes to figure out how it needs to be prepared.

Freezer Tips:

• Cool food before freezing.

• Put the date on the meal so you know when it was frozen.  

• Wipe edges of containers clean.

• Frozen cooked meat and poultry in sauces will keep 5-6 months.

• Sauces and soups will keep 5-6 months.

• Freeze as flat and thin as possible to make stacking in the freezer much easier.

Lizbeth2010
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:25 PM

And, anything that Maria comes up with, you KNOW is going to be GOOOOOOD! :D

AuntieV
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Google "Once a Month Cooking". You will get lots of ideas about what freezes well.

Also there is a very good book called "Don't Panic Dinner is in the Freezer" that is all about cooking meals and freezing them.

michiganmom116
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I make frozen pizzas:  spread dough on a greased pan(s) and bake for 4 minutes at 400°. Let cool a bit before topping with pizza sauce and desired toppings.  Carefully remove from pan(s) and slide onto a wax paper covered round cardboard big enough to support the pizza.  Cover with more wax paper and more pizzas.  I usually put 4 to 6 pizzas in a stack, wrapped them in foil, and froze them.  To bake, let thaw a bit on pan while oven is preheating; bake at 400° for 12 to 14 minutes until cheese has melted and pizza is heated through.

michiganmom116
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I will also freeze chili, lasagna, meat patties, breakfast biscuits (biscuit dough filled with country gravy, sausage or ham, cheese & scrambled egg then seal the sides), beef stew (add potatoes after thawing while reheating), chicken & gravy, various casseroles, and desserts.

If you have a crockpot and want to freeze things to cook in there, just find an ice cream pail or other plastic container that will fit in your crock.  Put the casserole or other food in there, freeze it, pop it out, wrap or put in resealable plastic bag, store in freezer.  When you're ready to cook it, remove from the wrapping/bag, put in crock, add approx. 1/4 c. water, cover and cook on low.

chunkiemunkie
by on Jun. 23, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Taco "lasagne" is what I always bring to new moms or sick friends as it freezes great.

1 Lb ground beef

1 packet taco seasoning

1 can diced green chillis

1/2 medium onion chopped

Hot sauce to taste if desired

1/2 of a package of cream cheese NOT LOW FAT

~Brown ground beef and add other ingredients cook until onion is soft, then take off heat and mix in cream cheese

1 large can enchilada sauce (I like Las Palmas brand)

Apx. 10, 8 inch flour tortillas

2 cups shredded cheese Cheddar, montery jack, mozzeralla...what ever your family likes

~Layer sauce...tortillas...meat mixture...cheese...sauce...tortillas...meat...cheese. In a 9x13 casserole (I cut the tortillas to fit the dish) If you are freezing layer a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper on top then cover with foil.

Cover with foil (remember to remove platic wrap if frozen!) and bake @ 350 for 30-45 min if thawed about 45-60 if frozen, uncover in the last few min to brown cheese on top. Yum!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)