Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

chicken tip

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 277 Total Views

Everyone probably already knows about this, but it was new to me, and it really works. I've heard of brining turkey, but had a simple recipe from weight watchers for chicken breasts. The big thing was to soak chicken breasts in 1/4 cup kosher salt dissolved in 8 cups water for at least four hours. I did it for eight. Rinse and pat dry,  Spray heavy skillet with Pam, and brown chicken to a deep mahogany. remove and cover with foil to keep warm. Spray pan again and add 1 cup onions or shallots, saute til soft. add 2 cups veggies (I used squash and zuchinni) a little garlic and some chicken broth. Maybe a splash of wine. cook on med heat 4-5 minutes, and add chicken breasts. Cover and simmer another 3-4 minutes til chicken is done. Serve over rice. The chicken needs no more salt, and is guaranteed not to dry out.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
koon293
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 6:38 AM

I got hooked on this over the holidays last year. Here's a tip for brining large birds. Ask a local resaurant for food grade bucket. I got one that is five gallons. They ususally just throw them away. Add your brine and bird and set in your cooler with ice. It was cold enough at Christmas that I just put it in my porch over night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)