Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick or pre made breakfasts

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:10 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 293 Total Views

Ok with school starting I need to start thinking breakfast. 

I have a 40 minute drive to work but I have to take my kids with me (they are 3 and 6)  I do my best to dress them while they sleep and let them sleep in the car. But I want to be able to have breakfast too.  The lastest I can leave is 7:30 to get my son to the sitter to catch the bus and my daughter to preschool by 8:30 and then me to work.  I know there are some muffins and things to make and I'm going to do that. We've also done peanutbutter toast and cereal in a cup. I need more.  I rarely buy pop tarts and that's not what I'm looking for. I really don't have the money to spend on pre packaged food (Eggo's, toaster strudles, etc.)

So do you ladies have any other suggestions for me?  Thanks.

I'm not society's idea of beautiful......screw society.
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
michiganmom116
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:56 PM

French toast sticks, you can make your own.

Breakfast biscuits (roll 1 biscuit flat, add a filling of scrambled eggs, sausage gravy and cheese, top with 2nd flattened biscuit, seal edges and bake according to biscuit dough directions, can freeze and reheat in microwave)

Make your own yogurt and put in in reusable containers with fruit (whole or puree') and your choice of sweetener, maybe top with a handful of their favorite cereal.

Granola (rolled oats, vegetable oil, honey or other sweetener, dried fruit pieces or raisins, sunflower seeds, etc. mixed together and baked. I can find a recipe if you need.)  I also have a great homemade granola bar recipe that isn't overly sweet.

If you ever consider feeding them pop tarts once in a while, I've got a recipe where you can make your own.

mommamiaria
by Group Owner on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:26 PM

You can make a batch of waffles and freeze them and use when needed. Here are some other recipe ideas:

Ham 'n' Cheese Quiche

Ingredients:

• 2 pastry shells (9 inches)
  • 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Line unpricked pastry shells with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Divide ham, cheese and onion between the shells. In a bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Pour into shells. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Or cover edges with foil and bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. To use frozen quiche: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking as directed. Yield: 2 quiches (6 servings each).

ZUCCHINI PIE(Similar to a quiche. I love this. I cut a slice and heat in the oven or microwave & melt a slice of cheese on top. Great with fresh fruit too)

3 small unpeeled zucchini sliced thin
1 small. onion, chopped
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. salad oil
1 c. Bisquick
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 to 1 tsp. parsley
Dash of salt and pepper

Grease 9-inch pie plate or 9 x 9 square pan.(I spray Pam on the pie plate, Combine all ingredients in a bowl and pour into pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.

Banana Bran Muffins

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup buttermilk
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups raisin bran
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, bananas and buttermilk. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in the cereal, chocolate chips and pecans. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

Golden Raisin Bran Muffins

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup All-Bran
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup golden raisins

In a bowl, combine the applesauce, oil, milk and egg. Stir in bran; let stand for 5 minutes. In another bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir in bran mixture just until blended. Fold in raisins (batter will be thick). Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.

Apple Bran Muffins

2 large golden Delicious apples, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 cups All-Bran
1 cup boiling water
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup raisins
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a skillet, saute apples in butter until tender, about 10 minutes. Combine cereal and water in a large bowl; stir in buttermilk, eggs, sugar, raisins and apples with butter. Combine dry ingredients; stir into apple mixture just until moistened. Refrigerate in a tightly covered container for at least 24 hours (batter will be very thick). Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Note: Batter can be stored in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 24 standard-size muffins.

Bacon Swiss Squares

2 cups biscuit/baking mix
1/2 cup cold water
8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix and water; stir 20 strokes. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Roll into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle.  Place on the bottom and 1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Arrange cheese over dough. Sprinkle with bacon. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and onion powder; pour over bacon. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve immediately. 12 servings.

Overnight French Toast

1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced cinnamon-raisin bread
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 cup half-and-half cream
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon maple flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
Fresh strawberries or maple syrup, optional

Slice ends from bread and discard or save for another use. Slice remaining loaf into eight 1-in. slices and arrange in the bottom of two greased 8-in. square baking pans. In a large bowl, beat eggs, yolks, cream, brown sugar, pie spice and flavorings. Gradually add milk, beating until well blended; pour over bread. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm; top with strawberries or syrup if desired.
 If cinnamon-raisin bread is unavailable, substitute raisin bread and add 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the egg mixture.

Hash Brown Quiche

Ingredients:

• 3 cups frozen loose-pack shredded hash browns, thawed
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup diced green pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Press hash browns between paper towel to remove excess moisture. Press into the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Drizzle with butter. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes. Combine the ham, cheese and green pepper; spoon over crust. In a small bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over all. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before cutting. 6 servings

ninipanini
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Mix up smoothies with frozen fruit & plain yogurt.  Throw in milk & chocolate milk mix.  My kids suck this down like you wouldn't believe. It's cheaper and healthier than the drink mixes.   Toss in a couple pieces of toast & they should be good to go.

AngelaEdmoms
by on Sep. 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM

another cool idea is homemade breakfast sammies. Get a 99 cent thing of 12 biscuits, some eggs, some Italian herb pre mix, and honey baked ham. Make the eggs (one at a time) in a small pan with the Italian herb mix and some cheese until you make twelve. bake the biscuits while cooking the eggs, once eggs and biscuits are cooked stick the ham and egg in the middle of all of the biscuits then wrap each one in tin foil and stick in the oven for another 10 min (this makes them stick together nicely and cooks the ham) then freeze them and stick em in the microwave every morning :o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)