Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ANYONE HAVE ANY GREAT HIGH POTASSIUM RECIPES???

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 393 Total Views

My doctor says my potassium is low and put me on some medication temporarily. I will have my blood taken again in a few weeks to check my potassium levels again. I am trying to raise my levels and was wondering if anyone has any great high potassium recipes. Thanks!

by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nycdoll
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Here is a list of high potassium foods:

Avocado

Broccoli

Spinach

Prune juice

Cantaloupe

Milk

Orange juice

Kiwi

Salmon

madcat500
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

and banbanas try some banbana bread

mommamiaria
by Group Owner on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Great ideas! Thanks for your reply. I should know today if my potassium levels have increased.

campingmomof4
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Here is a great steak recipe that I make.  My youngest daughter is a runner and we eat alot of high potassium foods. 

2/3 cup balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon olive oil

6 cups vertically sliced onion (about 1 1/2 pounds)

1/2 teaspoon salt, divided

1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

Cooking spray

Bring balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small, heavy saucepan. Reduce heat to medium; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté 18 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Remove from heat.

Preheat broiler.

Sprinkle steak with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and thyme. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Cutsteak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Serve steak over onions; drizzle with balsamic glaze.

campingmomof4
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Banana Pumpkin Smoothies

1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt 

3/4 cup canned pumpkin, chilled

1/2 cup ice cubes

1/3 cup fresh orange juice

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Dash of ground cloves

1 ripe banana, sliced and frozen 

Dash of ground cinnamon (optional)

Combine yogurt and next 8 ingredients (through banana) in a blender, and process until smooth. Garnish with dash of ground cinnamon, if desired. Serve immediate

mommamiaria
by Group Owner on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this

These are awesome. Thank you so much. I got my potassium up and I need to continue to do so. These sound great. Definitely going to try them.

elasmimi
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:42 AM

My husband is having the same problem, we googled high potassium foods, and in addition to those listed, potatoes are among the highest.

mommamiaria
by Group Owner on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Your husband is so lucky to have such an amazing wife & cook in the house! I bet you will come up with some great tasting recipes using prunes & dates! My doctor prescribed some medication but because of my acid reflux it made me feel horrible. I was determined to get my potassium level up so I could stop the meds and it worked. I went from 3.3 to 4.1 in two weeks. I thought the doctor jumped the gun by prescribing meds right away instead of letting me know I could possibly increase it with a diet change. I had given up a lot of carbs and white products in order to lose weight. I hardly ever ate any white bread products or potatoes and I would have told her that if she had asked. For the 2 weeks I ate baked white potatoes including the skin which is very high in potassium, prunes, raisins, avocadoes and Shredded Wheat Cereal. I also went to Smoothie King and had their Strawberry/Banana Smoothie and they told me to add Kiwi for extra potassium. I guess everything combined worked and I am hoping I can keep my levels up. I could never go on that medication. Keep me posted!

Quoting elasmimi:

My husband is having the same problem, we googled high potassium foods, and in addition to those listed, potatoes are among the highest.

elasmimi
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Good for you! I think it is always better to get nutrients through food if possible. He takes potassium pills, and it is still low, but he has had weight loss surgery so is limited in what he eats. The pills are awful, but the liquid is even worse!

Quoting mommamiaria:

Your husband is so lucky to have such an amazing wife & cook in the house! I bet you will come up with some great tasting recipes using prunes & dates! My doctor prescribed some medication but because of my acid reflux it made me feel horrible. I was determined to get my potassium level up so I could stop the meds and it worked. I went from 3.3 to 4.1 in two weeks. I thought the doctor jumped the gun by prescribing meds right away instead of letting me know I could possibly increase it with a diet change. I had given up a lot of carbs and white products in order to lose weight. I hardly ever ate any white bread products or potatoes and I would have told her that if she had asked. For the 2 weeks I ate baked white potatoes including the skin which is very high in potassium, prunes, raisins, avocadoes and Shredded Wheat Cereal. I also went to Smoothie King and had their Strawberry/Banana Smoothie and they told me to add Kiwi for extra potassium. I guess everything combined worked and I am hoping I can keep my levels up. I could never go on that medication. Keep me posted!

Quoting elasmimi:

RedHeadedLizzy
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Potato Soup

·         1 quart chicken stock (homemade is best)
·         1-2 cups water (depending on stock concentration)
·         1-2 cups milk
·         1 stick butter
·         1/4 cup flour
·         6-10 potatoes (we used red) cut up.
·         1/2 sweet onion, roughly chopped
·         2 Mirepoix bouillon cubes (recipe above) or 1 cup finely chopped Mirepoix
·         Salt and pepper to taste
·         BAM!, garlic, allspice, nutmeg to taste
·         Opt: 1-2 cups chopped broccoli
·         Opt: and/or chopped ham, chicken or crumbled bacon
·         Opt: Cheeseburger soup: 1 lb browned ground beef  with 1 small brick Velveeta or 1 cup grated cheese

Heat stock and water and bouillon to boiling. Reduce heat. Add potatoes. Cover and simmer. Meanwhile, brown onions in 1/2 stick butter.  Add to soup mixture. Continue simmer 10 minutes. Melt butter in same pan as onions were browned, then whisk in flour for roux, cook 2 minutes med heat.  Strain 2 cups of the soup and add to roux, mixing well. Add all to soup. Add milk to soup. Add salt (at least 1 tsp), pepper, BAM!, garlic, allspice and nutmeg to taste.  Add any extra ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or so

HOMEMADE CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, divided in half
  • 1/4 cup flour, all purpose
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 6-8 homemade bouillon cubes (from the book)
  • 1 cup chopped, steamed broccoli (good use of leftovers!)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • few dashes pepper
  • 1/2 tsp powdered garlic
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • optional: 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1/2 cup grated parmesan

Frozen homemade mirepoix bouillon, butter and flour

Make a roux with 1/4 cup (half stick) butter and flour: melt butter on medium heat. Add flour and whisk thoroughly. Cook and whisk 2 minutes.

chopped broccoli, melted homemade mirepoix bouillon, butter

Add in milk carefully, whisking constantly. Melt frozen bouillon in water and add to milk mixture. Continue stirring and cooking until bubbly. Reduce heat, add broccoli, salt, pepper, garlic and nutmeg.  Simmer 5-10 minutes. Adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.

Simmering soup

If desired, sprinkle with cheese either after serving or prior to, depending on taste. If prior, add after removing soup from heat and blend well until cheese is melted.

~Lisa

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN