Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DEPRESSION ERA RECIPES. PLEASE SHARE.

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

Do any of you have any other good Depression era meals that you like to make for your family?

~Kim

by on Mar. 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM
Replies (61-65):
jcsafc51
by on Sep. 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Quoting fairyshyone:

My mothers aunt use to do all the cooking for the family. I remember when making hamburgers she would add in bread soaked in milk. Man what I wouldn't give to have another one of those.

My mom made similar burgers with the bread, seasonings, chopped onion and raw egg. I loved them, yet haven't ever been able to make them like hers. I have never tried soaking the bread in milk; maybe that is the secret. Will have to try this. Wonder if stuffing mix with milk would work 

Jory
by on Mar. 25, 2011 at 6:50 PM

when i was younger my mom told me she used to have a babysitter who made peanut butter and syrup sandwiches. back when peanut butter cost 50 cents and syrup cost $1 it made the peanut butter stretch out for about 3 months and 5 kids ate it almost everyday. that and she made a goulash with a pasta of your choice( i prefer the spirals and bow ties mixed), spaghetti sauce, hamburger, and corn. brown the meat, cook the pasta, drain it all and mix it all together. yum!

harry
by on Mar. 31, 2011 at 9:01 AM

i dont know if this is depression era or not all i know is my daddy grew up eating this on the farm , meat and potato pie

take 12 lb ground beef, some peeled and cubed potatos, put in water to cook , when potatos are done,remove meat and potatos w/ slotted spoon, put in sprayed baking dish , add a ittle pot liquid to keep from sticking , make a topping of bisquick about like thick pancake batter and pour over top , bake 250 for 20 - 25 min and your done ! can add veggies if you like

jcsafc51
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Quoting harry:

i dont know if this is depression era or not all i know is my daddy grew up eating this on the farm , meat and potato pie

take 12 lb ground beef, some peeled and cubed potatos, put in water to cook , when potatos are done,remove meat and potatos w/ slotted spoon, put in sprayed baking dish , add a ittle pot liquid to keep from sticking , make a topping of bisquick about like thick pancake batter and pour over top , bake 250 for 20 - 25 min and your done ! can add veggies if you like

is that one half (1/2) lb ground beef?  12 pounds seems a bit much! LOL

sharonrena
by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Love this post!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN