• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with Fruit Salad

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:34 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 225 Total Views

Everyone in my family always brings a dish for every holiday gathering, and I am making a large fruit salad for Easter Sunday breakfast.

I have been looking at several recipes, and pictures, but I just can't decide what to include, or if I have to many fruits in this. Let me know what you think

This is what I was THINKING of putting in there:

Cubed Watermelon

Cubed Cantaloupe

Green and Purple seedless grapes

Sliced Strawberries

Sliced Kiwi

Sliced oranges

Is that to many, or a weird combination? Also how do I keep it fresh? I am def making it the morning of Easter, but how do I keep it from "wilting" and looking dullish as it sits? Lemon juice?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kalio
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 4:09 AM

It sounds good to me!! I think the only fruits you have to worry about getting icky looking are apples and bananas. Also since you have oranges you shouldnt need lemon juice...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/102281/
                ms
we need to find a cure

mommamiaria
by Group Owner on Apr. 9, 2009 at 6:21 AM

We have a bunch of fruit salad recipes posted under salads in our RECIPE section. Here is the link: http://www.cafemom.com/group/27504/forums/read_topic.php?topic_id=1416861

I LOVE the Strawberry Brie Salad!

WindsongSidhe
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Sounds wonderful.  Soak the bananas and apples in a cold water/lemon juice solution to keep them from turning brown.  Also, A good dip or "dressing" is plain or vanilla yogurt mixed with some honey and cinnamon.  Yummy.

~Lisa

smclark_1970
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:45 AM

This is my favorite way of making fruit salad..It just adds a different fun taste without masking the fruit's natural juices....

I cut up watermelon, cataloupe, honeydew, strawberries, a few fresh blueberries (for color), grapes, and whatever you feel like mixing. 

But the juice makes this....

Mix

2T. lemon juice, 2T. lime juice, 2 T. orange Juice, 1/3 C. water, 2/3 C. sugar.  Mix this with the fruit and let stand for a couple hours.  The more this stands, the better.

~~Just thought I'd share

Shayne

gabesmomma05
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:32 PM

My grandmother use to make the best fruit salad and all she did was buy different kinds of canned fruit (peaches,pears,pinneaple, cherries, mandrian oranges) she would drain everything but the peaches. The fresh fruits that she put in was red apples, banannas, strawberries and red grapes and also a kiwi. It was so good!!!!! I have made it for my family since she lives so far away. It always reminds me of her!

boy on a swing         in love             expecting girl

Mother to Gabriel           Wife to Matthew              Mary Elisabeth

10/24/2005                         09/04/04                     Arrival Date: 05/28/09

rosiecheeks115
by on Apr. 11, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I think anything you add will be wonderful and remind everyone SPRING is just around the corner.  Maybe blueberries would add a nice touch.  Happy Easter! http://www.smalltownkitchen.com

CookinUpSomLove
by on Apr. 11, 2009 at 4:25 PM

When I make a fruit salad I always throw in some poppy seeds and some sliced almonds just to have a little textural difference. Also if you sprinkle a little sugar and lemon juice on it , it will bring out the flavor of the fruit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)